Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: AAZ - weird pump, coupla questions.  (Read 3646 times)

June 28, 2007, 05:32:36 pm

Baxter

AAZ - weird pump, coupla questions.
« on: June 28, 2007, 05:32:36 pm »
Okay, done a few AAZ to Vanagon conversions but I got one, slightly different to normal, not come accross one before, just wondered if anyone else had and how to over come a couple of stumbling blocks.

Okay, not got the numbers from the pump yet, so I'll just describe it, and my concerns.

Engine came from a MKIII Golf, customer has sourced it and had it delivered to my garage.

I stripped the crank pulley off to check it, all fine surprisingly, so noew pulley and bolt ordered.

now, the injection pump.

It has a vernier type pulley and you cannot set the pump timing in the time honoured fashion by tristing the pump, the holes in the pump aren't elongated so timing adjustment is achieved by moving the pulley relative to the drive shaft, not too much of a problem, just different to what i am used to.

my main concern is that the engine has electronic timing control and it has a hydraulic timing solenoid on the bottom of the pump a'la TDI.
it's also got immobiliser, which doesn't concern me.

What bothers me is, fair enough I can get it in and running but what do I do about the timing control as I presume that the pump doesn't have the provision for mechanical timing advance, and it relies on the control unit to overate the timing in conjuction with the start of injection sensor.

anyone come accross this before?

Reply #1June 28, 2007, 07:13:53 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 07:13:53 pm »
Is it the timing advance for cold starts?
Tyler

Reply #2June 28, 2007, 11:30:41 pm

Tintin

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 11:30:41 pm »
Normally, these selenoid operated valve, (like a N108 on the TDI pump), It's to control the timing on the electronic pump with ECU, or semi electronic pump with ECU.

In your case, I do not have the exact information, but, your pump do not have the manual cold start, I tink that this valve operate like a electric cold start.

I see on the Esitronic picture of these pump,  a pressure sensor which replaces the bleeder screw on the center of the head of the pump, (at the place where the dial gauge is installed for timing) it is rather probable that the pressure sensor must influence the timing curve while acting on the selenoid valve.

For the adjustable pulley,  AAZ 1995 and up have adjustable pulley.

EDIT:If you does not connect this solenoid , the pump will work with much timing, the engine will be noisy.

Reply #3June 30, 2007, 05:44:31 pm

Baxter

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 05:44:31 pm »
Cheers fella.

Much as I thought really.

I think the best plan of action would be to fit a "normal" AAZ pump as the customer did not buy the cold start control unit, which controls the timing, as far as I understand it.

thanks for your time.

Reply #4July 04, 2007, 04:51:21 pm

jc_geddes

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 04:51:21 pm »
Simon did you get this sorted?

I think I have the pump you are talking about fitted to my AAZ which I have in a T3.

It has an electrnic cold start device instead of the 1.6TD verison and there are a couple of extra electronic items fitted to the pump which I have not connected to anything.

The van starts and runs fine  - it does not seem any louder then the old engine, but I would be interested to sorting it out if the installation is incorrect or could eventully damage the engine

John

Reply #5November 10, 2007, 03:59:10 am

Golf/Jetta

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 03:59:10 am »
bump
'97 Jetta - 4Dr - 1.9 TiDi (Forth Car)

'94 Jetta - 4Dr - 2.0L Swaped in an AZZ - Almost done 2011 b4 Winter (Third Car)

Blue '87 Golf - 2Dr - Tags (First Car)
Red '92 Jetta (W) - 4Dr - Sold to Friend For $200 (Second Car)

Thanx For Answering My Posted Question's/Comments...

Reply #6November 10, 2007, 11:09:44 am

andy2

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 11:09:44 am »
The inj pump on the AAZ uses the solinoid on the side of the pump to retard the dynamic inj timing from idle rpm to 2800-3000? This was done to recuce emessions (Nox I think).Once engine is over 3000 rpm this solinoid recieves 12v which then puts the dynamic timing back to mormal. To energize this solinoid at the lower rpm will give the engine a little more torque and help with cold starts a little.This would make the dynamic timing work like it does on the 1.6 inj pump as it does not have this emession related device.

Fixmyvw.com