S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: TDC on SB code 1.6td  (Read 4170 times)

February 01, 2007, 03:03:02 pm

ELVIS

• Junior

TDC on SB code 1.6td
« on: February 01, 2007, 03:03:02 pm »
hi! have got a 1.6td sat on a pallet in my garage ready to go in my vanagon.am doing belt change/tensioner/pump timing / new waterpump etc before it goes in.
   because it is not fitted to a bell housing i obviously cant line it up with TDC mark on flywheel???
     i have borrowed one of these VW tools
http://www.vwdieselparts.com/injtim.htm    ( the sliding rule that bolts to block)  what should it be for an SB code engine ?
  when i lock the cam and injection pump , the 'O' on the flywheel is exactly 100mm , is this right , hope so or everything is badly out!! it turns over ok and valves dont touch pistons :lol:

Reply #1February 01, 2007, 03:54:42 pm

myke_w

• Veteran

TDC on SB code 1.6td
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 03:54:42 pm »
Put all the pistons at half bore when you bolt it down, then turn the cam and bottom to tdc by hand when you are ready to time it.
Contact me for hard to find for idi and tdi parts

Reply #2February 01, 2007, 04:02:27 pm

ELVIS

• Junior

TDC on SB code 1.6td
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 04:02:27 pm »
hi Myke! the head hasnt come off, still got the old belt on . surely there must be a way of getting TDC with one of these guages? , its just knowing the length ! :lol:  the engine was taken out as a god runner and hasnr been disturbed. the only other option is to site belt with present 'settings' then recheck when fitted! will the tdc markings on a passat bellhousing be in the same place as a vanagon bellhousing ? are flywheels marked up in the same place for tdc ?  :?:

Reply #3February 01, 2007, 04:09:06 pm

myke_w

• Veteran

TDC on SB code 1.6td
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 04:09:06 pm »
The flywheels are different and will be marked differently. I'd probably plan on timing it in the vehicle, that way you are sure, there are no methods that compete with the flywheel mark for accuracy. It won't make it any harder to time it on the vehicle either. Be sure to turn over the crank by hand at least 1 full turn after you tighten it all down or put the valve cover back on. Also, the tensioner gets turned clockwise to tension the belt.
Contact me for hard to find for idi and tdi parts

Reply #4February 01, 2007, 04:41:31 pm

andysimpson

TDC on SB code 1.6td
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 04:41:31 pm »
Quote from: myke_w
The flywheels are different and will be marked differently. I'd probably plan on timing it in the vehicle, that way you are sure, there are no methods that compete with the flywheel mark for accuracy. It won't make it any harder to time it on the vehicle either. Be sure to turn over the crank by hand at least 1 full turn after you tighten it all down or put the valve cover back on. Also, the tensioner gets turned clockwise to tension the belt.

This is the proper vw tool for engine work with engine out, with a different flywheel than standard the tdc on the gearbox will be wrong.

Reply #5February 01, 2007, 04:43:06 pm

ELVIS

• Junior

TDC on SB code 1.6td
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 04:43:06 pm »
Quote from: myke_w
. Also, the tensioner gets turned clockwise to tension the belt.

cheers andy! never thought of asking that one! :D will do what ya say and re-check it in situ. i know it must be ok at mo as it was a runner and when ive turned it over now , nothing 'touches' . thanx again  elvis

Reply #6February 01, 2007, 05:56:29 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

TDC on SB code 1.6td
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 05:56:29 pm »
The only way to be sure of your timing (even better than the occasional misaligned flywheel mark) is to remove #1 injector and measure peak rise of piston on compression stroke. No 'ifs' and no 'buts'... from this you can make your own timing marks anywhere convenient... crank   pulley rim included:idea:
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #7February 01, 2007, 06:03:52 pm

andysimpson

TDC on SB code 1.6td
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 06:03:52 pm »
Quote from: Mark(The Miser)UK
The only way to be sure of your timing (even better than the occasional misaligned flywheel mark) is to remove #1 injector and measure peak rise of piston on compression stroke. No 'ifs' and no 'buts'... from this you can make your own timing marks anywhere convenient... crank   pulley rim included:idea:

Maybe on a tdi but how is that going to work on a idi??

Reply #8February 01, 2007, 07:57:04 pm

itzdshtz

• Junior

TDC on SB code 1.6td
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 07:57:04 pm »
An easy way to find TDC :

Make a pointer from wire from your block to your crank pulley.

On cyl #1, have both camlobes pointing upwards.

Turn the crank counter clockwise away from #1 TDC about 45 degrees, put a spacer (a piece of 1/4" key stock) between the intake valve lifter and cam lobe of #1 cyl (push it down with a screwdriver) then rotate the crank clockwise until the piston hits the intake valve. Mark this position on the crank pulley.

Next, rotate the crank counter clockwise a bit so that you can take the spacer out between the valve lifter and the cam lobe.

Then turn the crank clockwise about 45 degrees after TDC, put the same spacer back in the same place between camlobe and lifter and turn the crank counter clockwise until it hits the intake valve again and mark this position on the crank pulley also.

Next rotate the crank clockwise a bit so that you can take the spacer out again.

Now all you have to do is to devide the space between the two marks, rotate the crank until the pointer hits this mark and that is your exact TDC.

Make a mark on your bellhousing and flywheel.

Put your valve cover back on, take your temporary pointer off and you're done.
Now this procedure is for a solid lifter head, if you have a hydraulic lifter head, you will have to let the keystock sit in between the valve and lifter for 15 min. or so to bleed the lifter.
Also be careful when turning the crank by hand until it contacts the valve, you don't want to bend any valves.
1989 Vanagon Westfalia 2.1
1987 Vanagon Syncro Westfalia 2.0 TD
2004 Audi allroad 4.2
1997 Audi A6
1985 Audi 5000 Td
http://vanagonsyncroproject-herman.blogspot.com/
http://picasaweb.google.com/itzdshtz/VanagonSyncroProject02

Reply #9February 01, 2007, 08:39:31 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

TDC on SB code 1.6td
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 08:39:31 pm »
Quote from: andysimpson
Quote from: Mark(The Miser)UK

Maybe on a tdi but how is that going to work on a idi??

IDI is what I was referring to. You should be able to poke down through swirl chamber to piston top with something. A piece of wire etc.
Good luck...
... SB engines are all hydraulic aren't they so the other poster's method is a little trickier to do to be sure of 'bisecting' to the TDC on a 'deflated ' or partially deflated hydraulic follower
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

Reply #10February 02, 2007, 12:25:47 am

itzdshtz

• Junior

TDC on SB code 1.6td
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 12:25:47 am »
It is 100 mm to the notch in the Vanagon's pressure plate.
1989 Vanagon Westfalia 2.1
1987 Vanagon Syncro Westfalia 2.0 TD
2004 Audi allroad 4.2
1997 Audi A6
1985 Audi 5000 Td
http://vanagonsyncroproject-herman.blogspot.com/
http://picasaweb.google.com/itzdshtz/VanagonSyncroProject02

Reply #11February 05, 2007, 08:43:59 am

ELVIS

• Junior

TDC on SB code 1.6td
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 08:43:59 am »
cheers for all ya help fellas! didnt want to try all the 'stick wire in ya engine' etc ways . got the guage (cheers andy!) so have the ability to do it EXACTLY .my clutch cover isnt notched (SACHS?!)  but on the flywheel there is a singular '0' (at approx 12 oclock position) with a small line underneath in the exact centre. thanks to Andysimpson (again-he trawled thr' all his VAG manuals/Cds) sussed out its 96mm to the  centre of '0' . have timed it up and it is within 1/2 mm on flywheel (were talking leave 1 feeler guage out and ya get it spot on) thanks again to andy for enocouraging me to do it properly and loosen pulley and go for 100% right and not 99.9%!! :D

Reply #12February 09, 2007, 06:59:42 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

TDC on SB code 1.6td
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 06:59:42 pm »
Quote from: ELVIS
cheers for all ya help fellas! didnt want to try all the 'stick wire in ya engine' etc ways . got the guage (cheers andy!) so have the ability to do it EXACTLY .my clutch cover isnt notched (SACHS?!)  but on the flywheel there is a singular '0' (at approx 12 oclock position) with a small line underneath in the exact centre. thanks to Andysimpson (again-he trawled thr' all his VAG manuals/Cds) sussed out its 96mm to the  centre of '0' . have timed it up and it is within 1/2 mm on flywheel (were talking leave 1 feeler guage out and ya get it spot on) thanks again to andy for enocouraging me to do it properly and loosen pulley and go for 100% right and not 99.9%!! :D
[/size]

Flywheels have been known to be wrong due to lummux's putting on wrong and leaving a bolt out!
Be sure to rotate engine a few times by hand after timing to be sure there's no valve touching.
Mark-The-Miser-UK

Fixmyvw.com