Author Topic: Update on my over-rev'ed head...  (Read 57698 times)

Reply #45November 30, 2004, 03:58:07 pm

srivett

• Veteran

Update on my over-rev'ed head...
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2004, 03:58:07 pm »
There's a great episodic journey on www.vwdieselparts.com about a guy changing the bearings with his engine in place.  If you do a search it will be the post with 7 or more pages. :)  You have to beat the transmission with a chisle to get the rear mains out but other than that it's supposed to be easy.

Steve
1992 1.6D Golf - 412K km
Mint except for chipped paint, no rust :)

Reply #46November 30, 2004, 04:43:55 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2004, 04:43:55 pm »
Steve (Thanks for the tip) - A HA!  I found it: http://www.vwdieselparts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1747&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

(Wow, these forums look pretty similar to vwdieselparts's.  Even the "look and feel".  Hmmm... hey even the users there look familiar! )
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #47December 04, 2004, 06:30:32 pm

web

• Junior

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2004, 06:30:32 pm »
Quote from: "fspGTD"
I was thinking if the bearing is worn egg-shaped, the plastigage even if torqued down carefully without movement might not detect the max wear if it wasn't oriented right.  So if it was predictable where the wear would be, then I was thinking the crankshaft orientation and position of plastigage on it could be determined.  However, I'm not sure what forces were more likely to have caused bearing wear - IE: high centrifugal force from the overrev (peaking at TDC between exhaust and intake stroke; pulling "up" on the piston/rod), or damage caused by the piston valve interference would be approaching TDC but would be in a downward direction on the piston/rod.

I think it will.  This egg shaped bearing wear will always allow some extra play (some up / down play, no matter which shell is damaged). Plastigauge measures free play, so no matter which side you put it, it will "see" the damage. Near the bottom of the bearing cap is probably the best place. BTW, like the other thread said, plastigauge is best cleaned off with a solvent.

I am recalling now sometimes after driving the car very hard, seeing alarmingly low oil pressure at hot idle, IE: lower than normal even.

That can happen as oil temperature rises. Very hard driving or extended high-speed driving would do that. Oil gets thinner, pressure drops. Is normal, although the difference should be small and pressure should not drop to alarming levels. May I recommend an oil temperature gauge? I generally put one on anything that's driven hard. It tells you SO much more than a water temp gauge can.

Marcel
Current car: '92 Fiat Croma TDID, similar to VW TDI only completely mechanical DI - with VE-style pump.
Previous car: '84 mk2 diesel, w/1.6TD swap ('86 hyd engine), 9mm plunger, KKK K24.

Reply #48December 04, 2004, 11:26:24 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2004, 11:26:24 pm »
Quote from: "web"
May I recommend an oil temperature gauge? I generally put one on anything that's driven hard. It tells you SO much more than a water temp gauge can.

Marcel

Already got one.  Thanks for all the info, I don't have anything new as a yet to report but will post up here again as soon as I do.
Jake Russell

Reply #49March 17, 2005, 12:41:39 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2005, 12:41:39 am »
An update on the GTD... Although the engine seems to have decent power and drive well when the car is running, the engine has been really hard starting ever since putting on a rebuilt head on it since the over-revv incident.  In fact I've only mustered the will to start it maybe 3 or 4 times.  Initially I had to use all the tricks: block heater, lots of glowing, jump starting, and lots of cranking.  Not happy with the performance of the A2 lightweight gear reduction starter I was using ever since I bolted it on, I rebuilt it, finding and fixing a 2.5 volt drop across the solenoid.  So after fixing that it noticeably boosted cranking RPMs.  But this was still not enough... the engine still required jump starting and lots of cranking before it would start.

So I borrowed a compression tester, and today I hooked it up and got some readings.  Cranking speed during the compression test was 190 rpm, which is good I think.

1st pass:
  320 psi
  320 psi
  340 psi
  320 psi

2nd pass, after adding a tablespoon of oil in the cylinders, as recommended a VW diesel service training manuals...
  620 psi
  630 psi
  605 psi
  605 psi

Now this is kind of odd.  I was kind of expecting if one of more valves weren't sealing, that I would have seen low compression on one or more cylinders, but not uniformly low.  Also, I wouldn't have expected compression to virtually double after adding oil.  That would seem to indicate rings.  Do you guys agree?

Any of you had luck with the "wet" compression tests on these VW IDI diesels?  Are the results conclusive?  I noticed that some of the oil got up into the compression tester.  And then it would spray out as a mist when I moved on to the next cylinder.  What's preventing the oil from sealing a valve?  Is this "wet" compression test really conclusive?

My engine builder suggests since to work on the bottom end I'd have to take the head off anyway, that if I take the head off I might as well bring it down to them and they'll vacuum test all the rings to make sure that the valve sealing is completely ruled out as the potential problem.  (They would do this for free for me, since I had them rebuild the head.)
But, are there any diagnostic steps I should be doing before taking the head off?

I am thinking there may be some bottom end work in my future!  :?
Jake Russell

Reply #50March 17, 2005, 04:13:12 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
leak down test
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2005, 04:13:12 am »
I've heard good things about leak down tests.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #51March 17, 2005, 03:55:02 pm

andy2

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2005, 03:55:02 pm »
It definitely looks like you,ve got some bottom end problems Jake.Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but last time I looked in the Bentley I think It specifically stated not to do a wet compression test on the diesel just gas only and it said to preform a leakdown test instead .I'm not quite sure why the "wet test" is not recomended  so mabye someone else could fill us in on why.

On another compression related issue I've just done a compression test on two 1.9tds and a 1.6td and at first I thought I would pull the #3,4 glowplugs and get the two readings from those cylinders to get a rough Idea on the engines condition without pulling the injectors and checking all four cylinders.So on the 1.9TD #4 cyl was at 350psi after 5 crank revotutions.So anyways I needed to check all four cylinders regardless and the reading through the injector adaptor on the same cylinder was now 400psi after the same 5 cranks.Obviously the different numbers were due to the fact that the glowplug compression adaptor does'nt have the glow plug's element on it that would normally be in the head Thus lowering the compression.So basically If anyone out there is checking compression through the glowplug hole you will need to add another 50psi almost exactly to your reading for it to be correct.I just thought I would add that incase anyone checks the compression using glow plug adaptors on any IDI diesels :wink:

Reply #52March 17, 2005, 04:17:07 pm

Hammy

• Junior

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2005, 04:17:07 pm »
This is just a guess, so take it as such. I would think that doing a wet compression test on any diesel would not be a good idea. Obviously the fuel is off, but could it not theoretically try to start on the oil. Also having the oil in the cylinder would reduce the volume of the combustion chamber. It has been my experience that a leak down test will usually give the best answers, but I have only ever done them on gas engines.

Also Jake, it is my understanding that the engine requires 600 or so RPM for starting purposes, so I would think it would deem neccessary to reach the same speed during a compression test also. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but 190 RPM seems way to slow.
Hammy (Jason)
'96 Golf, 1.8 gas
'91 Golf, 1.6 TD
'98 GMC 1500 4x4, 5.7L (doing my best to save the oil companies, 85 liters takes me 600 km)
'78 Ford 3000 3cyl, 201 diesel, with loader

Reply #53March 17, 2005, 04:41:02 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

Re: leak down test
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2005, 04:41:02 pm »
Quote from: "fatmobile"
I've heard good things about leak down tests.

:?: This is the compressed air test?
How do you differentiate between ring leakage and valve stem leakage?
DUH.. Of course it won't reach valve stems but will come out of intake and or exhaust. Or just valve  cover.  :roll:

Jake. What ever your problem is; its very 'even'... what are the chances of equally distributed valve leaks?
Could it just be even wear on the bores?
Mark-The-Miser-UK
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #54March 17, 2005, 05:09:45 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2005, 05:09:45 pm »
Hey guys - you bring up some good quesitons.

Regarding wet compression test - no bentley does not state you can't do it.  In fact, it explicitely states you can.  According to my bentley (covering '77-'84 Rabbit / Jetta Diesel) it states: "To determine whether the piston rings are causing low compression squirt a small quantity of SAE 40 oil into the low-reading cylinder(s) through the injector hole(s), and repeat the compression test. ..."

Furthermore, also in the VWoA service manual distributed to dealerships titled "Four Cylinder Diesel 1977-83 / ProTraining" (someone uploaded it here: http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=321 ) gives compression test procedure on page 53, stating "A low reading can be rechecked by adding 1 tablespoon of engine oil through the injector hole..."

Also more about the wet compression test, the way I measured the quantity of oil to add was found a good spoon to use, then measured that 3 spoonfuls of water was equivalent to 1 tablespoon.  If I put in 3 full spoonfuls, a bit of oil would get up into the compression tester.  If I put in 3 light spoonfulls, not oil would get up into the compression tester.  But I would imagine it would be  thrown around inside the combustion chamber and no doubt, would add some to the compression ratio.  The compression tester I used did it's measuring through the injector hole.  It is very similar to the one pictured in the Bentley manual referenced above, on page 10.  The glow plugs were left installed.

Moonstone - Regarding adequate cranking RPM - 600rpms is way above what is required for our motor and what our starter motors are capable of without any cylinders firing to assist.  See same source referenced above (Protraining), where it states to check for adequate cranking speed on page 25: "Cold cranking speed must be at least 150rpm."  (This is referring to standard cranking speed where all four cylinders have resistance during compression of course, not speed during compression test when only one cylinder has full compression loading, however I didn't really notice the RPMs seeming to be much different between the two.)  I just can't see there being a problem with my motor's cranking speeds.  The way I measured cranking rpms during the compression test was by counting the number of "puffs" on the compression gauge in a 10-second period, and multiplying that number times 12 to get the RPM of the crankshaft.  16 puffs in 10 second period x 12 = cranking speed of 192 RPM during the compression test  (give or take 12 RPMs.)
Jake Russell

Reply #55March 17, 2005, 05:31:07 pm

racer_x

• Junior

« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2005, 05:31:07 pm »
Regarding wet compression test - no bentley does not state you can't do it.  In fact, it explicitely states you can.  According to my bentley (covering '77-'84 Rabbit / Jetta Diesel) it states: "To determine whether the piston rings are causing low compression squirt a small quantity of SAE 40 oil into the low-reading cylinder(s) through the injector hole(s), and repeat the compression test. ..."
WOW!!!  I just checked my Bentley manuals, and Jake is correct that the text he quotes is in the A1 Diesel Bentley.

The A2 Bentley has different text. It says, "Caution----Do not attempt a wet compression test on a diesel engine. The oil in the cylinder may be ignited by the compression pressure."

Both manuals are correct. If compression is low, putting motor oil (AKA fuel) in the cylinder and running another test will tell you if it's the rings or the valves. But if you get enough compression, the motor oil (AKA fuel) will ignite and your compression tester can explode. It's not too likely with a VW because the cylinder displacements are low and the volume in the guage hoses and the guage itself reduces the total compression pressure on the first couple of strokes.

Still, I wouldn't ever try a "wet" compression test on any diesel. I got out my red pen and wrote "Never do this" in my A1 Bentley where that "wet" compression test is described.

Reply #56March 17, 2005, 05:43:47 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2005, 05:43:47 pm »
Mark the Miser - on a leakdown test, to rule out the rings, engine oil is added.  But unlike the compression test, the pistons are not moving up and down, it's just the rate of air leakage that is being measured, so the oil would definitely stay down around the rings where gravity would make it go.  It would only help seal the rings.  It would not get splashed around inside the combustion chamber by moving pistons and could not possibly help seal valves.  It would indeed be more definitive test than a "wet compression" test.

I am thinking that based on my compression test, I've got some problem that's definitely not starter, electric, or fuel injection related.  I'm thinking about the only thing I might think about doing is double-checking the cam timing before taking the head off.  Although the evidence that I do have seems to be pointing to rings.  I have not had bad sealing valves before so I don't know if they would be even or not.  Keep in mind this is a freshly rebuilt head.  Common sense says if the machinist screwed up the valve job, it wouldn't be exactly even on all cylinders.  But at the same time, it is possible...

So anyway, I'm thinking next steps I should do are first double check cam timing, since it is easy to check.  And then, I'm not sure... I'm debating between checking / changing valve clearances, or just taking the plunge and pulling the head off for testing.
Jake Russell

Reply #57March 17, 2005, 06:00:13 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2005, 06:00:13 pm »
Racer-X (and others) That is interesting the A2 Diesel Bentley advises against wet compression test where other sources advise it.  Is the A2 Bentley manual an official Volkswagen of America service manual?  FWIW, the A1 Bentley is not an official VWoA service manual, and I know of several errors, and in general although better than most manuals, it is not the "end all" of reference literature.

The Diesel Protraining reference however is an official VW of America publication, and I trust it highest.  It's the stuff that the dealerships got and used, and what Bentley lifted pictures and procedures out of when putting together their non-official manuals.

I don't think there are any problems with the wet test, as long as the glow plugs are disabled, and that the quantity of oil metered into the combustion chamber is 1 tablespoon, as recommended in the ProTraining manual.  I am not sure of how effective of a test it is though.  (I might find out if it is conclusive, as I keep diagnosing my engine problem.)

Another "tip" when compression testing I learned the hard way (it's not mentioned in any manuals) is that after you remove all your injectors for the compression test, be sure to move the "cap" from the fuel injector return fitting onto the injection pump's fuel return nipple.  This prevents diesel froom oozing out and leaking down the front of your engine when cranking the engine for the compression test.  :o
Jake Russell

Reply #58March 17, 2005, 07:02:17 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2005, 07:02:17 pm »
Mark the Miser - on a leakdown test, to rule out the rings, engine oil is added.  But unlike the compression test, the pistons are not moving up and down, it's just the rate of air leakage that is being measured, so the oil would definitely stay down around the rings where gravity would make it go.  It would only help seal the rings.  It would not get splashed around inside the combustion chamber by moving pistons and could not possibly help seal valves.  It would indeed be more definitive test than a "wet compression" test.

:twisted: Thats not to say that the air would not also show up poor valve seating at the same time(hissing in inlet or exhust at TDC compression (stroke) :twisted:

I am thinking that based on my compression test, I've got some problem that's definitely not starter, electric, or fuel injection related.

:?: Two points here are causing conflict with my  (sometimes)logical thinking..
Earlier on you mentioned observed change in cranking speed with 'three injectors out and four in...Is this right? I'd expect a doubling of cranking speed [ish] although your 190rpm sounds reasonable in itself [3 rev per sec]
The second point is your reference to 'fuelling must be good' WHY?
I'd loosen one injector line and under end of line do a fuel collection for a few cranks (GP's off) :?:

Common sense says if the machinist screwed up the valve job, it wouldn't be exactly even on all cylinders.  But at the same time, it is possible...
:wink:  Ah do you put all your money on a single number in roulette?  :D
Mark-The-Miser-UK
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #59March 17, 2005, 08:01:37 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2005, 08:01:37 pm »
Mark - in theory, you do a leakdown first without oil added, this tells you the overall health of the ability of the cylinder to seal.  Then you add oil and do the leak down again, and the difference tells you how much air was leaking past the rings.  If the problem were with valves, I'd have to remove the head anyway to have the valve sealing problem fixed.

Re: cranking RPM with and without compression... Keep in mind that the energy used to push the piston up against compression during the compression stroke is energy that is returned to the crankshaft during the power stroke - assuming there were no blowby at all and also no loss of energy from compression heat conducted away.  So the corrolary is that if energy loss from heat conduction was negligible and the cylinder was sealing pretty well, then we shouldn't expect a big change in cranking RPM by relieving compression in 1 or more cylinders.

Why have I ruled out fuel injection as a cause of the low compression: fuel injection and injection timing is not a factor used during the compression test, but yet the dry compression results, at 300-320, came out much lower than they should have been (400-500).  I also know thereis fuel getting to the injectors when cranking (as it occasionally sputters and there is a smell of diesel and occasional smoke puff out the exhaust), and the car runs like timing is set right and everything else is fine when it is warmed up and idling and running.
Jake Russell

Fixmyvw.com