S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 1.6lTD Garrett Turbo disassembly  (Read 5358 times)

February 26, 2006, 03:07:11 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
1.6lTD Garrett Turbo disassembly
« on: February 26, 2006, 03:07:11 pm »
Hey guys -

I took this Garrett 1.6lTD turbocharger apart to learn more about it and rebuild it, and wanted to share some of the findings.  I have been running and racing on this thing for years, and am sure it could some fresh bearings and seals.

Here is the what the compressor wheel looks like:

...compared with the 1.6lTD KKK K24 compressor wheel:

The garrett compressor wheel has significantly less "intake" area than the 1.6lTD KKK, due to both a smaller minor diameter and also an increased diameter of the "nose" (cylindrical structural metal behind the compressor nut), so I would expect it would have less flow capability.  It also has less blade tip height, another sign of less flow.  It is also interesting that the blade tips of the Garrett compressor are angled while they stick straight out on the 1.6lTD KKK.

The 1.6lTD Garrett turbine wheel is less "curvy", or perhaps not as sophisticated aerodynamics as the 1.6lTD KKK turbine wheel.  However the Garrett turbine wheel seems sized for quite generous flow.

The turbine housing of the 1.6lTD Garrett is also .36, and it looks noticeably more "open" than the 1.6lTD KKK turbine housing.

Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #1February 26, 2006, 03:28:37 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

Re: 1.6lTD Garrett Turbo disassembly
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 03:28:37 pm »
Quote from: "fspGTD"
Hey guys -

I took this Garrett 1.6lTD turbocharger apart to learn more about it and rebuild it, and wanted to share some of the findings.  I have been running and racing on this thing for years, and am sure it could some fresh bearings and seals.

Here is the what the compressor wheel looks like:

...compared with the 1.6lTD KKK K24 compressor wheel:

The garrett compressor wheel has significantly less "intake" area than the 1.6lTD KKK, due to both a smaller minor diameter and also an increased diameter of the "nose" (cylindrical structural metal behind the compressor nut), so I would expect it would have less flow capability.  It also has less blade tip height, another sign of less flow.  It is also interesting that the blade tips of the Garrett compressor are angled while they stick straight out on the 1.6lTD KKK.

The 1.6lTD Garrett turbine wheel is less "curvy", or perhaps not as sophisticated aerodynamics as the 1.6lTD KKK turbine wheel.  However the Garrett turbine wheel seems sized for quite generous flow.

The turbine housing of the 1.6lTD Garrett is also .36, and it looks noticeably more "open" than the 1.6lTD KKK turbine housing.

Compressor wheel looks super clean jake... didn't find any oil film in there or the compressor housing when you removed it? Very cool if so...

Joe
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #2February 27, 2006, 01:38:08 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 01:38:08 pm »
Delving deeper into this turbo, I find it interesting to take a closer look at the wear noticeable on some of the original pieces...

Replacing the old and worn thrust bearing with a fresh new one reduced side clearance by 50%! (axial clearance decreased from .003" to .0015")

---------------------------------------------

Andrew: you are correct, the compressor nut was not ground down when the factory balanced this rotating assembly... which will make it easier to rebuild without upsetting the balance. :)

Joe: the compressor wheel and seal plate was actually quite dirty (looked almost like black-anodized!) before I wiped it with paper towels and brake parts cleaner. :shock:

The old sealing rings are definitely showing some signs of wear... IE: noticeable grooves worn into their sides.  This close-up detail is of the worn compressor sealing ring:
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #3February 28, 2006, 07:27:09 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 07:27:09 pm »
personally,,and idont know whocares but,,,as far as the kkk vs. garret debate,, ,,ive ran both onsame engine,,and my basic impressions are : kkk turbo,,good low end+midrange,,falls off uptop,,,,,,,,garret,,ok low end,,midrange better,starts coming on strong,,, topend better punch than kkk,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,anyone else think they"feel" like this????i chose the garret for the tdi,,,,,,,,,ok the kkk was stock on the 84 td jetta,and the garrett was from an 86 jetta td,,not an eco thingee or anything
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #4January 26, 2008, 06:27:08 am

dillenger1

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 06:27:08 am »
Did you replace the stock hard lines on the turbo?I was wondering because most ive seen have hardline to the wastegate.
Cummins 4bta- 85 dodge prospector short bed
28 mpg!!and i can pull down a house!
1.6td in toyota pickup
10mm head ,t3 intercooled.

Reply #5January 26, 2008, 05:50:24 pm

dillenger1

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 05:50:24 pm »
My T3 off a mk2 TD has two hard lines.One goes from wastegate ,to the rubber section,then to the compressor housing.The othe looks like vacuum or cooling.Its smaller in diameter and runs from the wastegate to the side of the inlet of the compress. housing.Ive heard this is for cooling the diaphram during operation,the other sees pressure.
Cummins 4bta- 85 dodge prospector short bed
28 mpg!!and i can pull down a house!
1.6td in toyota pickup
10mm head ,t3 intercooled.

S-PAutomotive.com