Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: AAZ crank fix (pics)  (Read 6446 times)

December 28, 2005, 06:36:22 pm

andy2

AAZ crank fix (pics)
« on: December 28, 2005, 06:36:22 pm »
I thought I'd show you guys some pics of Our crank repairing procedure.We pull the cam out in order to turn the crank over(via starter) to resurface the cranks face.We then use a modified gear thing as a jig.A broach is driven through the tool to produce the TDI flat on the crank.My picture taking skills are not that good :oops:,But I'm sure you'll get the idea.

http://www.msnusers.com/gtdforum/shoebox.msnw?Page=3

Reply #1December 28, 2005, 09:43:51 pm

vixentd

• Junior

1.9 fix
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 09:43:51 pm »
THis is an original gear with it modified to allow for you to put a D in it. How do you grind the D on the end of the crank.  Wasn't sure I could tell how you did that part?  Thanks

Reply #2December 28, 2005, 09:58:18 pm

tylernt

• Veteran

Re: 1.9 fix
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 09:58:18 pm »
Sounds cool. What is the TDI flat and why is it necessary?

Just curious.
'82 Diesel Rabbit, '88 Fox RIP, '88 Jetta (work in progress)

Reply #3December 28, 2005, 10:12:25 pm

andy2

AAZ crank fix (pics)
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 10:12:25 pm »
Yes its old style pully that was modded to do the job.The key on the our pully/jig had to be in good shape in order for the new flatspot to be correctly positoned on the crank.

The flat (or D shape) on the crank was produced with the use of a broach(tool used to cut keyways on shafts etc..).The teeth on this tool are stepped,as each tooth is forced through our jig it takes of about .002" of material off I think.It takes just over one full pass of the broach to get the desired amount of material removed.All cranks need a little more or less material removed depending on how much the outside diameter of the crank is worn.

The ginding tool fixture (made form a small lathe) is only used to true up the face of the crank as none of them are ever true.

Reply #4December 28, 2005, 10:30:01 pm

andy2

Re: 1.9 fix
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 10:30:01 pm »
Quote from: "tylernt"
Sounds cool. What is the TDI flat and why is it necessary?

Just curious.

The TDI Flat was an update over the old stye key.The problem is that the old style key does not hold up and works its way back and forth in the keyway until it etiher Breaks the crank bolt or shears the key right off instantly bending all the exhaust valves and damaging thier lifters.This problem is well known to occur on basically any and all AAZ 1.9TD engines eventually in thier life.I,ve even seen it happen to a couple 1.6D-TD's too.

The TDI's also had a special pully installed on the alternator which helps take away the back and forth shock that the alternator produces.This pully will fit on the AAZ alternators and is a highly recomended upgrade to help prevent the problem.However as the last AAZ engines came in cars until 97,It would be a little late now to try and keep on top of the problem,As these car all have many km's on them by now.If these pullys were installed on the alternator from day 1 this problem may have not happened peroid.

Reply #5December 28, 2005, 10:40:29 pm

Staley

• Junior

• http://www.bartuning.com
AAZ crank fix (pics)
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 10:40:29 pm »
That is a really cool idea.
Am I drunk do I need new glasses?
cause those pics seem alittle fuzzzy
haaha :)
Houston's APR Distributor
www.bartuning.com

Reply #6December 29, 2005, 10:27:18 am

andy2

AAZ crank fix (pics)
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 10:27:18 am »
:lol: :lol:  No thats just me in a rush last night before I put the engine back together,I figured you guys would like some crappy pics rarther than no pics :D

Reply #7December 29, 2005, 11:41:17 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
AAZ crank fix (pics)
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 11:41:17 am »
Precision machining done in-chassis!  Those are some impressive tools you made, Andy2. :)

I wonder if the weighted ("flywheel" style) injection pump pulley (found in some TDIs I know, not sure if it has ever cropped up in 1.9TDs or not though) could help prevent the crank key failure?

It seems like the flywheel injection pump pulley would gradually store energy and release it when needed for pushing the camplate "uphill" without making as much peak tension on the timing belt.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #8December 29, 2005, 12:57:43 pm

andy2

AAZ crank fix (pics)
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 12:57:43 pm »
Thanks Jake,I come up with the ideas and my dad basically make's up this stuff as he too is a pretty hardcore VW diesel fan too.

Interesting about the TDI pump pully,I've never heard of that as being a possible cause before.That combined with the alternator issues were definitely the problem form day one.The TDI camplates ramp is however considerably more agressive as you know,however the "weighted" style pully would'nt be a bad idea for the AAZ also.

Reply #9December 29, 2005, 06:32:11 pm

commuter boy

• Veteran

AAZ crank fix (pics)
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 06:32:11 pm »
Very elegant.  Beats my pinning the crank gear with a pair of dowels.

I bet you get a lot of drive in business in your area.  Pulling the crank is an expensive and/or time consuming business.  It's even more so if you don't fix it.   :D

Reply #10December 29, 2005, 06:50:44 pm

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

AAZ crank fix (pics)
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 06:50:44 pm »
I don't think the pump sprocket is an issue so much as the harmonic balancer. Really, it is the biggest difference in the belt setups of the 1.6 and 1.9. I think the harmonic balancer and serpentine setup were just the straw that broke the camels back in this case because the 1.9 crank sprocket is the same as the 1.5/1.6 and I've never heard of this happening on those engines.

Fixmyvw.com