Author Topic: The GTD RETURNS!  (Read 94701 times)

September 03, 2005, 08:08:36 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« on: September 03, 2005, 08:08:36 pm »
Lucas' definative vision...

Ok...mine...

More to come...

The original... IDI TD motor now sold...was great at 23psi :)

The new wheels...Centra's, W.Germany circa late 80's 15x7 on Falken Ziex rubber

My homemade AWIC

But MOST importantly... the start of something great!

And cummins beige in honor of...TBA

and before anyone asks...no, i didn't paint the sealing surfaces, etc. for the oil filter flange, water pump inlets, etc... I used a "priming" jelly that I've come to like...just apply it to surface, paint and then peel once the paint dries...works great and takes alot of time out of masking...

Its great to be back. Have been here now and again but finally settled and moved for at least two years... New job...new motor...new plans! Hope to see more of Marc ...missed talkin to you guys!

Joe

1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #1September 03, 2005, 08:14:42 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 08:14:42 pm »

Holset HX35?

Reply #2September 03, 2005, 08:31:14 pm

AntonUK

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 08:31:14 pm »
Hey Joe did you used to be the moderator back in the day on the old GTD hostboard forum? Hope you got my pm from tdi club Re: the electrics for your tdi engine.

Reply #3September 03, 2005, 10:43:21 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 10:43:21 pm »
Hmm....Holset...now thats an idea. T3 is actually what I had lined up...with some other nice additons to what you see...

Anton...no, didn't get your post about electronics at TDIclub...only one i got was regarding the fact that the MAF, and a few other bits were missing. Was looking for what you needed to get for the electronics. Now I believe I've solid on going the mechanical route... PM me if you know a price though...might have someone lookin
Yes...I am the old moderator from hostboard...Marc (redrotors) and I constructed the orginal site...

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #4September 04, 2005, 11:15:25 am

VWRacer

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 11:15:25 am »

Cummins 4bt injection pump?

PS - Welcome back! :D
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #5September 06, 2005, 06:17:43 pm

AntonUK

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 06:17:43 pm »
Hey Joe sorry I must have forgot to pm you back but I thought I did. Anyway he was going through a closing deal so I dont think he has it anymore now. I would go A4 edc though if you were gona run edc. Much better control and tunabilty. Iv not been on here much myself been mostly on tdiclub trying to figure out my engine. I remember couple of years back reading the whole old GTD forum Its like a college course for diesels I learnt so much from it. Its nice to see some poeple on here that I remember from the old one! Im hopefully gona stick around here a bit more often now.

Reply #6September 06, 2005, 08:08:59 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 08:08:59 pm »
thanks anton! Its good to be back and see that things have expanded...

I had decided to to go EDC a while back :) Mechanically gives me for flex for what I want to do on the turbo side of things as well as other modifications...

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #7September 07, 2005, 05:22:26 pm

AntonUK

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 05:22:26 pm »
Mechanical is old skool!! way to go if I may say so :lol:

I would go mechanical but the cost of getting a hybrid pump here in the UK doesnt appeal to me and besides I got full A4 edc with my engine so I wont have a problem controling my vnt20 either.

Reply #8October 16, 2005, 08:35:42 am

rev2red

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 08:35:42 am »
I am curious, what 020 tranny were you running with the TD?

Reply #9October 16, 2005, 09:29:52 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 09:29:52 am »
looks sweet ..the engine i built for my project was cummins beige then i put it in my sisters 98 tdi and painted red to match her car..loooking good..after i get my new 95 passat glx wagon to tdi swap done i'll be doing my mechanical tdi jetta up..should be sweet.. when blake moves back to ny we can have a rabbitation here or something a mechanical tdi cruise  ha..his will be done and your and maybe mine..sweet.
later
Deo
\x/ hillfolk!

Reply #10October 16, 2005, 02:18:10 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2005, 02:18:10 pm »
hey that ic is sweet!! thats what ihave started myself,,what are the core/tanks from,,iwas gonna make my own tanks from sheet alu,,,,,looks good though,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hey deo,how long do u think those cummins isb fuel pumps would last ,if u used them to pump water/coolant mix thru watercooled ic?????figured coolant would provide some lube on pump,,,hmm,,ill try and get the rest of em,,i know we have 12 pump kits at work,so thats 12 school busses,and 12 "old but good" isb  lift pumps for me!,
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #11October 25, 2005, 09:43:21 am

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 09:43:21 am »
Quote from: "rev2red"
I am curious, what 020 tranny were you running with the TD?

The tranny was an FN for the IDI TD setup. No modification.

The new tranny....huff... for the m-tdi setup will be a combination that I have come up with to get me as close to the TDI's Final as well as its gearing but in the 020 setup. LSD will be added later as well. I'm not a fan of the feel of cable shift. Not to mention I don't believe they are the cure all for the swaps. I was talking to a friend and mechanic for VW and he has seen quite a few TDI's themselves chipped and stock come in with broken trannies. The 02a 02j etc. do have their merits...but, not a cure all IMO.

AWIC core is from a turbocoupe, jacket was welded by my friend ...its a nice unit and probably is overkill for the application since we had made it for a lysholm 16v Corrado project i was working on a few years ago. But...it'll be going on the rabbit. Just need to figure out how I want it mounted.
Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #12November 29, 2005, 11:08:37 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 11:08:37 pm »
More progress...well, pics.
While I've been waiting to source the remaining pistons I want to use and get them coated...as well as things to sell so i can get some more hardware.... I've been building, sandblasting and working away at the little details for the motor...and rest of the car...Lots of pics.. :)

Meanwhile, all gaskets, bearings, etc. are anxiously awaiting install into the motor so I can get this going :)

The head...worked the weekend on cleaning and getting ready to port match it... MAN you would not believe how crudy those intake ports were!!! Still have a little to clean out of it!

Its details...all were sandblasted and precleaned before painting...

Maybe I'm getting a bit crazy...even did the injector hold downs in Cummins Beige... Not that much is...just the block, and what you see so far besides all four calipers :)

Working on the mechanical pump too...still trying to source a used LDA top, assembly for some test and comparisons. Working on the gov. assembly of the pump and figuring out what I want to do for a sprocket...think this is my ticket, turned backwards, against the mkIV adjustment hub and about 1/4 of material taken off the sprocket... ADJUSTABLE SPROCKET ....Mmm...easily timing advance adjustments. :)

Was going to use a 1.9 AAZ sprocket...but have been unable to find one...or even a picture. From what I remember though, this is very beefy compared to the AAZ unit...

And working on the intake manifold arrangement as well. My plenum style G60 intake manifold that I'm going to have to port match the daylights out of to make the D ports on the TDI head...hoping, there is enough material...its close...should be fun :) Also, my modified G60 boost return portion of the throttle body to make the inlet portion of the manifold from the AWIC once its hooked up.  

I won't have interference issues with the turbo since I'm running a back set turbo like I was running previously on the build IDI TD in the car.

So...some progress :)

Joe

p.s. Deo...any luck on finding those pistons :) :) :) Probably got slammed with a snowstorm with your luck from your PM i got on Fred's...
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #13November 30, 2005, 07:16:51 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2005, 07:16:51 am »
Joe looks good i painted my idi 1.6L td that color.. phew where to start ..basically i haven't found the piston i thought i had..i did find a set i had sanded down the tops to be level with the piston deck it the oem valve relief around the combustion bowl etc..if you know what i mean i e th ewhole top of the piston is level with the bottom of the vlave relief area..i was hoping to lower the compression a little..any how you can have that set if you want as i dropped one..i will look and see which one ..th edropped one ie dropped on th efloor  cracked the piston ..so that one is junk..if you took another piston and shaved the top it woiuld be fine..or i could shave atop for ya so it would match?...i have another box to look in and two engines to take apart to find a piston if you don't want the shaved set...custom!!!
later
deo
\x/ hillfolk!

Reply #14November 30, 2005, 12:41:18 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

The GTD RETURNS!
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2005, 12:41:18 pm »
I'm not sure about the "shaved" set. I'd like to see pictures first...I do have one of these you could shave down though. PM me with what your looking to get... Also...how much did you take off and was it equal on each piston. Did you use a lathe to do it or what? If your willing to look in the other motors...that may be the best route but it is possible I could be interested in lower the CR...especially since I'm also getting these coated. I'm not sure how much i like "no" valve depressions on the pistons though.

Yeap...work is coming along on it...just getting this piston straightened around has been the biggest battle...

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

S-PAutomotive.com