Author Topic: Caddy TD Swap  (Read 10104 times)

July 29, 2005, 02:35:21 pm

veeman

• Veteran

Caddy TD Swap
« on: July 29, 2005, 02:35:21 pm »
I finally got some pictures downloaded from the camera, so I figured I'd post a couple of the progress on the TD swap into my 81 Caddy.

History:  I traded for the Caddy back in March and got it practically for free since it had a damaged 1.6 NA in it.  To get the thing mobile, I promptly stuck a working 1.5 NA in it that a friend supplied to me.  The 1.5 was ok once the runaway problem got solved, although it was more than a little underpowered.

Along with the Caddy deal, I received an A1 TD motor in pieces.  The head was missing its cam saddle caps and it was basically in "unknown" condition.  I investigated rebuilding that TD (and saw the prices) but then found a complete swap from someone who was pulling it from his rabbit in favor of a gas swap.  

A deal was struck and I had the motor shipped to me.  The motor was rebuilt by the PO and had come from a Quantum.  The swap came with a five speed FF transmission, the TD radiator and all the hoses, accessories.

After reading fellow posters' threads on tuning their TD's for performance, I began thinking that I'd add some tricks to mine before doing the swap.  

The first thing I did was pull the exhaust manifold off to drill /tap for an EGT gauge.  I used the VDO kit that others recommended here with the short silver probe.  I also wanted to ditch the stock cast iron downpipe and make a custom downpipe, but more on that later...

I drilled the manifold in the same location shown in past posts and then tapped it for the probe insert.  

Here's approximately how the probe sits in the manifold...

Since I had the manifold off anyway, I inspected the stock Garrett turbo and unfortunately found some damage to the shaft and bearings.  I took my spare turbo and the damaged one into a local diesel shop and they made one good one for me.  It came back to me much spiffier than before..

I asked about doing a hybrid turbo with all my parts, but that shop didn't have the parts and didn't seem too keen on doing it.

So... the next step was pulling the 1.5 and swapping the TD in.

81 Caddy TD
98 Audi A4 Quattro V6 TDI
83 VW GTI FSP
86 4ktq

Reply #1July 29, 2005, 02:46:39 pm

veeman

• Veteran

Caddy TD Swap
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 02:46:39 pm »
Next step:  pulling the old engine, swapping in the new one...

The 1.5 and the four speed transmission had to come out to make way for the TD, so one night last week, a few friends came over with a cooler and we got things started...

Yanking off the old dinky exhaust.  We had to chop off the tailpipe to get the whole exhaust to pop out from under the truck...

The whole motor / trans dropped out in no time.  I love the fact that there were a total of about 7-8 wires that make the whole engine run.    

Here's a pic of my buddies after the engine came out.  As a friend says "It aint yours until you stand in the engine bay with a beer".  I've got similar pictures of other cars I've swapped as well, including my buddy's 911 (trans swap).   I think I'm going to make a mural in my garage.

After that, I took a little time to clean up the bay a bit.  The caddy's not perfect (some rust / bent sheet metal), but it cleaned up pretty well.

Time for the new engine...  I did that a few days later.  Here's the TD, waiting to go in to its new home.

After putting the caddy way up in the air, I pushed the TD under the front of the car and used the hoist to pull it up from the bottom.  Everything went in without a hitch.  I began working on connecting all the accessories and planning the relocation of the fuel filter stand.
81 Caddy TD
83 VW GTI FSP
86 4ktq

Reply #2July 29, 2005, 03:16:32 pm

veeman

• Veteran

Caddy TD Swap
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 03:16:32 pm »
Downpipe time

I decided I really wanted to ditch the restrictive cast iron downpipe and after looking at other TD downpipes in similar posts, I decided to take a crack at making a custom 2.5" pipe myself.

I ordered some mandrel bends from Summit Racing and a flange for the turbo outlet from ATP.  Summit had two different radius bends available and I got a variety to be sure.  As it turned out, the different bends came in very handy and quite cheap at around $16 each.

My friend Greg (TDI driver) came over and masterminded the project.  He's a better welder than me and proved to have the "eyeball" to use the chop saw and get the bends we wanted.

Here's a test fit of the first bend off of the turbo...

Greg acting like a diesel Ricola salesman...

The biggest obstacle was the shift linkage in fourth gear, so we test fit that a few times.  By leaving the top of the pipe loose at the flange, we were able to "clock" the downpipe and provide more room down at the linkage.  The pic makes it look tight, but there's plenty of room there...

Using the mig to zap it all together... We bolted it to the spare turbo exhaust housing to keep the flange from warping.  Nevermind the messy shop.

Here's the finished product.  I thought it turned out pretty well.  Gotta thank Greg for great work there...  It seems to be a bit different in design than other custom TD pipes I've seen but when it's mounted it seems like it all fits fine.   I've still got plenty of room to add a flex joint in the tunnel and a bracket up top to attach it to the manifold.  

The plan is to paint the downpipe as well.  I'm thinking BBQ paint or other high-temp paint.  Not sure if that'll hold up, but if it looks better than rust, I'll be happy.

I ran into a problem with using the PO's Quantum alternator mounting setup, but  swapped an NA bracket in last night.  I'll use my NA alternator so the radiator won't interfere and so I won't have to cut off my stock alt plug.

The A/C on the car was in good condition and actually held pressure when I disconnected the lines, so for right now I'm going to try and make it all work.  If the A/C won't work after some effort, I'll ditch all that stuff and go with a non A/C setup.

I haven't started the motor yet, but that should be soon... I've still got to relocate the fuel filter, finish the exhaust (side dump? stacks?), figure out how to wire the TD fan, EGT gauge and install a boost gauge.
81 Caddy TD
83 VW GTI FSP
86 4ktq

Reply #3July 29, 2005, 04:23:45 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
Caddy TD Swap
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 04:23:45 pm »
Dude - SWEET!!!  :)  Great looking work...  Thanks for sharing pics, and good luck finishing it off!  :P
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #4July 29, 2005, 05:01:56 pm

Maarten

• Veteran

Caddy TD Swap
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 05:01:56 pm »
keep up the good work  8)
Audi A3 TDI '98
VW cabby '79
VW T3 1.9TD '91

Reply #5July 29, 2005, 06:23:43 pm

Baxter

Caddy TD Swap
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 06:23:43 pm »
Just found this place, maybe some use?
http://vwcaddyforum.com/

Reply #6July 29, 2005, 06:24:42 pm

Baxter

Caddy TD Swap
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 06:24:42 pm »
Ah, better link
http://www.vwcaddy.com/
Easier to remember!

Reply #7September 16, 2005, 01:19:04 pm

veeman

• Veteran

Caddy TD Swap
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 01:19:04 pm »
I just thought I'd add a little update to this thread.  The project continues.

Here's another shot of the finished downpipe.  The flex section seemed WAY too stiff when I put it on, but once we hooked up the exhaust, it proved to flex quite a lot where needed.

After the downpipe, we started on the exhaust.  I decided to do a full 2.5" system for the caddy with one resonator.  Here's the pile of parts.  Stock exhaust is on the left.

A quick shot to show the stock exhaust diameter compared to the 2.5" pipe...

Overall, the exhaust really didn't take that long to make although we did end up using the chop-saw quite a bit to make sections that would all weld together properly.  Big thanks to my buddy Greg who's an ace at eyeballing those U-bends to make them slink around the tunnel in the caddy.

Greg contemplating the task...

On the truck.  Not the best picture, but hopefully you can make out where the exhaust kicks out slightly to clear the shifter box...

Another shot of the near-finished exhaust (still missing a tailpipe).  Since that pic was taken, I've come up with a more permanent exhaust hanger using some scraps of the stock hangers.

I was somewhat surprised at how much heavier the 2.5" exhaust is compared to the stock system even though it has one less muffler.  The 2.5" pipe is pretty thick...

There's only one resonator / muffler on the system so far and it sounds great!  Not really loud or obnoxious. You can definitely hear that turbo whine.  I'll know more once I drive it.

I've also spent some time installing the GTI console and gauges in the caddy.  I've got EGT, a voltmeter and oil pressure down below by the shifter...

I wired in all the gauges, but I'm still waiting on the adapter to mount the oil pressure sender along with the stock sender in the head.  With all taht done, that still left the boost gauge to mount.  I considered a dash mounted "cup" made by VDO, but I also thought it would be neat to mount it in a pillar-mounted gauge pod.  

Simple, right?  Well, not really... no one really makes one for the A1.  I did some research and found that some people had been successful in using a Autometer pillar pod meant for Mk3 cars in an A1.  I ordered one up and as it turns out it's pretty far from fitting right out of the box.

I ended up experimenting with some cardboard templates, a grinder and a heat gun and got it to fit pretty well.  Essentially, I had to cut some material from the rear of the pod, then heat / form the top of the pod to conform around the A1 A-pillar.

Right now I've got it secured with one screw.  Not sure how I like that idea.  I might go for some velcro / adhesive tape for the bottom of the pod for reinforcement.

The only part that didn't really work out about the pod was the portion of the piece that goes against the door frame.  The way the pod is made, there's simply not enough material to wrap all the way around.  I tried heating and pulling on the plastic, but it only worked to a degree.

This is a pic of that side of the pod with the door open.  when the door is closed, you can't even see that section since it is blocked by the door frame.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with how it works out. It'll be nice to keep an eye on the boost while I'm driving without looking down.

One important thing to remember about the modification of that pod is that my caddy is a base model truck.  That means it doesn't have the A-pillar trim that a rabbit GTI or deluxe might have.  In my case, since I don't have that trim, it was easier for the pod to be fitted inbetween the dash and the pillar.  I still think you can use the Mk3 pod on A1's with trim, but it might look slightly different, especially on the back side.

Next, I've got to run the boost line and wiring to the pod.  I found an "updated" boost tee (sold by ECS_tuning) that supposedly solves the VDO gauge's tendancy to "buzz" or flutter.  I'll try it out and see what happens.

I should be driving this thing soon after I finish mounting the fuel filter in the passenger wheel well, figure out a solution for my clear fuel line and I attach the cabriolet fender liners.
81 Caddy TD
83 VW GTI FSP
86 4ktq

Reply #8September 16, 2005, 01:41:39 pm

Maarten

• Veteran

Caddy TD Swap
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 01:41:39 pm »
Quote from: "veeman"
I just thought I'd add a little update to this thread.  The project continues.

Next, I've got to run the boost line and wiring to the pod.  I found an "updated" boost tee (sold by ECS_tuning) that supposedly solves the VDO gauge's tendancy to "buzz" or flutter.  I'll try it out and see what happens.

Always nice to see a project advancing :)

I think I need the same T cause my VDO gauge is buzzing when the pressure goes up :? can you provide a link?

nightshot of my gauge in a pod:

http://morninglight.demon.nl/a3/turbodrukm.jpg
Audi A3 TDI '98
VW cabby '79
VW T3 1.9TD '91

Reply #9September 16, 2005, 01:54:39 pm

veeman

• Veteran

Caddy TD Swap
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 01:54:39 pm »
Sure....  I got mine from ECS tuning (www.ecstuning.com), but I think NewSouth Performance actually makes them.  Should be about $6 or so.

http://www.newsouthperformance.com/fitting.htm
81 Caddy TD
83 VW GTI FSP
86 4ktq

Reply #10September 16, 2005, 02:07:44 pm

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Caddy TD Swap
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 02:07:44 pm »
The boost gauge in my Jetta buzzes too.....but not the one in my rabbit for some reason. How does the restrictor help?

Reply #11September 16, 2005, 02:55:31 pm

Maarten

• Veteran

Caddy TD Swap
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2005, 02:55:31 pm »
The restrictor dampens the shockwaves produced by the turbo... :)
Audi A3 TDI '98
VW cabby '79
VW T3 1.9TD '91

Reply #12September 16, 2005, 05:15:59 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
Caddy TD Swap
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2005, 05:15:59 pm »
Looking great, veeman... 8)

FYI: the a-piller plastic coverings are found in all '84 (or 83) and up Rabbits, which had the glue-in windshields.  The earlier cars with the rubber windshield gaskets got the vinyl trim.  I would think that the Rabbit pickups would be equipped the same.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #13September 16, 2005, 07:16:27 pm

veeman

• Veteran

Caddy TD Swap
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2005, 07:16:27 pm »
>>a-piller plastic coverings are found in all '84 (or 83) and up Rabbits, which had the glue-in windshields. The earlier cars with the rubber windshield gaskets got the vinyl trim. I would think that the Rabbit pickups would be equipped the same.

You're right... My rabbit truck has the rubber windshield seal and the vinyl trim, but my 83 GTI has the plastic trim.  After I got done modifying the gauge pod to fit the caddy, I tried to fit it in the GTI and saw that the trim was different.  It didn't want to fit.  I'd probably have to cut more off the bottom of the pod and change the shape around the top to make that work.
81 Caddy TD
83 VW GTI FSP
86 4ktq

Reply #14September 24, 2005, 05:51:28 pm

veeman

• Veteran

Caddy TD Swap
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2005, 05:51:28 pm »
Update:  First test drive!

I got things all buckled up last night in anticipation of a test drive today.  I changed the fuel filter to elimnate all those nasty bubbles in the fuel line and ran the tubing for the boost gauge.  I ended up running it along the rain tray and in through a grommet in the firewall so I could hook it up to the boost gauge on the pillar.

The green "light diffusers" for the VDO gauges showed up on Friday, so now all the gauges in the GTI cluster and the boost gauge are backlit green just like the stock dash.  It looks pretty neat.

This morning, I was able to take the caddy out for a test drive.  It smoked quite a bit when I first started it up (diesel in the cylinders from sitting?), but it smoothed out after running for a while.

The engine seems to run pretty well.  I saw boost up to around 10 psi (stock turbo / wastegate setup) in third gear and I can say that the additional power over my 1.5L engine is very welcome.   The boost tee that I installed along with my gauge seems to be doing its job at eliminating needle "flutter" or buzz.  I'm very satisfied with that... you can read the boost level accurately even in full boost.

After everything was warmed up, I kept my eye on my EGT gauge to see how high it got.  I picked a long hill and tried to keep in the throttle all the way up.  

The highest I saw on my gauge (also VDO with the short silver probe) was slightly higher than 850. Does that procedure and those temperatures sound about right for a stock engine?  I'm hoping to have some room to play with the fueling / boost...

The 2.5" exhaust is great...no rattles and it's suprisingly quiet.  Possibly even quieter than the stock caddy exhaust in NA form.  Maybe that's my imagination though.

The five speed transmission is also a welcomed change as well.  I got on the highway and 65mph seemed WAY more comfortable than it ever did with the previous engine and the four speed.  That's good news considering I plan to commute with this thing...
81 Caddy TD
83 VW GTI FSP
86 4ktq

S-PAutomotive.com