S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: VNT Rabbit tuning: intercooler + more boost  (Read 25340 times)

June 25, 2005, 11:00:38 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
VNT Rabbit tuning: intercooler + more boost
« on: June 25, 2005, 11:00:38 am »
On the last update of the Rabbit VNTD, I left you guys hanging on what modifications would be next in store for the car.  This was after the installation of a VNT turbo from a TDI which was set to 8psi boost pressure.

Time to unveil the wraps on what's going on.  :twisted:  Sure enough, I am addicted to hot-rodding this thing and can't stop now.

Right now I'm working on mounting a Saab 900 reverse-flow intercooler into it:

After a little trimming of its mounting flanges, this intercooler just barely fit between the westmoreland-Rabbit headlight buckets.  It is also thin enough to not have to relocate the radiator.  I also am trimming the hose fittings back:

Going in along with the intercooler will be a bigger .9 bar (13psi) wastegate spring.  Can't wait to see what the car's like with an intercooled 13+psi.  :P

Also, thanks to Larry (DieselsRcool) for hosting me at his shop and helping me change out the valve seals in-car!  When I had the head off recently I noticed some oily residue in one of the exhaust ports, and the car had always had some blue oilsmoke out the exhaust combined with a little bit of oil consumption, pointing to a leak out of an exhaust valve seal.  When changing the valve seals, we also found a cracked lifter bucket skirt!  I am lucky that Larry had a good spare lifter bucket in his parts stash, which we swapped in on the spot.

Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #1June 25, 2005, 03:17:49 pm

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
Re: VNT Rabbit tuning: intercooler + more boost
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 03:17:49 pm »
Nice choice of intercooler.

Wide VNT powerband + intercooled 13 PSI + Rabbit =
http://www.tunezilla.com
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI - I bought it back!
97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L 1Z TDI - sold and missed
11 Golf 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Stage 4
14 Golf Wagon 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Sold
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L

Reply #2June 25, 2005, 06:09:43 pm

jackbombay

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 06:09:43 pm »
You are making it more and more difficult for yourself to hand the keys back over to your dad once you are done.

Looking forward to the results!

Reply #3June 26, 2005, 09:11:50 am

DieselsRcool

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 09:11:50 am »
Well? Where's the road report? Knowing how excited these hot diesels make you I can't believe you haven't driven it yet.

Thanks for the ride the other day.  I must say the performance is quite impressive.  :shock:  I feels more like a 2+ liter old bug than a lowly diesel rabbit. Nice and light but torquey and full of snap. What a sleeper. I can see the horns growing out of your dads head now.

That does look like the perfect intercooler for the A1 though, good find.

Larry

Reply #4June 28, 2005, 12:35:36 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 12:35:36 pm »
Thanks guys, I can't wait to see how it's going to turn out too!  :)  This car is a little rough on the edges but it's already an awesome daily driver, I already wish I had it for my own!

Larry - the car drove great on the way back home from your place, but I wasn't able to get someone to follow behind while driving it yet to see if the oilsmoking it happening or not.  I will check this out more thoroughly very soon though.

I am going to run 1 3/4" SCEET ducting (the pricey dual-ply silicone stuff) for the boost tubes.  I am hoping with that size that I can just route it right down the front of the timing belt cover and also have the return flow come back up it right along side it and hopefully have it all fit under the hood with the stock sound absorber mat.

I fabricated an aluminum tubing transition to adapt the compressor outlet from 1.5" to 1.75" and am working on some for the intercooler boost tube connections to change them from 2.25" to 1.75".  To make the transitions I first annealed some 6061-T6 aluminum tubing with the oxy-acetylene torch, then used a muffler/tailpipe expander tool I rented from Schmuck's.
Jake Russell

Reply #5July 10, 2005, 08:42:03 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 08:42:03 am »
test fitting the intercooler and air baffles:

Some detail of the top of the intercooler.  I added slots to make more clearance for the radiator support and the hood latch release mechanism:

And here is an overall shot of the intercooler - it is just about done and ready to be permanently mounted!

But I should be extra careful not to blow a boost tube off with the manually controlled VNT.  A blown boost tube would cause the vanes to close completely, which could make the turbo pretty quickly overspeed!

This bead-forming tool I made out of a pair of vice-grips and a steel hook should finish it off:

bead-forming tool in action:

beaded tube result, close-up:

The bead height is variable with the tool.  I set it so high that the aeroduct just barely slips over! :P
Jake Russell

Reply #6July 10, 2005, 09:46:38 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005, 09:46:38 am »
Bead forming tool... now THAT is slicker than snot.  ;)  You are a regular MacGyver, Jake!  :)

Brendan
84 Scirocco 8v
00 Camaro L36 M49
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #7July 10, 2005, 10:18:52 pm

Staley

• Junior

• http://www.bartuning.com
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2005, 10:18:52 pm »
YEAH

that is a really GOOD idea.. to bad that I am going to steal it now ;)
Houston's APR Distributor
www.bartuning.com

Reply #8July 10, 2005, 11:11:37 pm

DieselsRcool

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2005, 11:11:37 pm »
There ya go Jake! That's using the old gray matter. I'm into those kind of homa made tools ya know. Good job.

Reply #9July 11, 2005, 12:05:13 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005, 12:05:13 pm »
Thanks guys!  You know, they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  :)

Hey I finished the intercooler install yesterday, installing everything and finishing off the boost tubes:

It was a chore to route the tubes in that location with them being properly supported and not rubbing on anything.  I was concerned about the thin aeroduct chafing against something, but so far the only thing rubbing is one of the rubber-lined adel clamps on the soft hood sound absorber mat.  I need to do something about it before driving a lot more, as the sound absorber is wearing where it is rubbing.  The boost tubes and intercooler are holding up great though, and I have had no problems with boost tubes getting blown off.  :D

I also changed the wastegate from .6 bar (little green spring) to the .9bar (big green spring).  Check out the differences in these spring dimensions!

Against the force of the big green spring, holding the spring cover on there while starting the little bolts into their threads was not easy!

After a road test, it looks like the wastegate with the new big green spring is opening and regulating pressure pretty well at about 12psi - a pretty healthy bump over the previous 8 psi setting.

I did several tests to adjust the VNT to increase it's pressure, and I reached the end of it's threaded adjustment range.  So I disassembled it and reassembled it with a threaded rod that is shorter, so I could get more VNT spring pre-load to further increase it's regulated boost pressure.  I've got it set now so that it starts opening at about 5-6 psi and it opens completely at about 11 psi.  I will probably experiment soon with adjusting this a bit higher.

I also adjusted the LDA as well to broaden its working pressure range.  I wanted to set it to allow more fueling than stock at the high boost levels to go with the added air, but also wanted to have it minimize fuel at low boost, so that in the event of a blown boost tube, the LDA reduces fueling as much as it can to try and help save the turbo from overspinning on closed vanes.  With the LDA set up this way, the car's horsepower and torque characteristic is more closely linked to its boost pressure, so there is a bit more turbo lag powering away at very low RPMs, but it's usually not for very long with the VNT.

The car rocks with added boost - really fun to drive.  The way it's set up now, there is a little bit of "hyperactive boost" cruising on the freeway, etc, at around 5 psi where the vanes are nearly totally closed, the boost is very responsive to small throttle changes.  But it is well regulated around 10 psi, and creeps beyond that up as RPMs increase to about 12 and then at the highest RPM where there is still max fueling the boost peaks at about 12.5psi.  There is definitely more power, and more torque, despite fueling being set to make zero visible smoke detectable out the rearview mirror.

Oh by the way when I was under there removing and reinstalling the VNT can, I noticed that the compressor housing was HOT!  I remember there was a heat shield on the TDI exhaust manifold on the compressor housing side of it, and I can see two mounting studs for it sticking out of the exhaust manifold, but on this car it is missing.  Maybe I should try and track one of those TDI heat shields down.
Jake Russell

Reply #10July 11, 2005, 02:55:04 pm

TDIMeister

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2005, 02:55:04 pm »
Great work, Jake.

Any EGT numbers yet, with the same fuelling as before, and with the increased fuel?

Reply #11July 11, 2005, 10:55:56 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2005, 10:55:56 pm »
Wow - what a difference an intercooler and 4.5 psi of boost can make!  Check out these G-tech results:

The blue and green are the two best results out of four that I measured earlier today (with the intercooler and 12.5psi boost pressure.)  Dyno correction factor from today's session was .98.
* Peak power: 80 HP @ 4260RPM
* Peak torque: 108 ft-lbs @ 2790 RPM

The black line was the best recorded non-intercooled, 8 psi run.  Dyno correction factor for it was .99... only off by 1%.

TDIMeister: I have not meaured the peak EGTs since the addition of the intercooler, although I have no worries in that area.  It is likely to be much cooler than it was before since it now has the intercooler.  Also, the amont of fueling per unit of boost pressure in the working pressure area of the LDA is likely to be less now than it was before, since I raised the LDA spring seat and have not altered the max load screw setting or LDA control cone rotation angle.
Jake Russell

Reply #12July 12, 2005, 03:03:33 am

Maarten

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005, 03:03:33 am »
80HP 8)
Audi A3 TDI '98
VW cabby '79
VW T3 1.9TD '91

Reply #13July 12, 2005, 02:45:25 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 02:45:25 pm »
I think I should g-tech my mom's 2001 Golf TDI Auto and see how variable vane TDI compares to variable vane IDI...  8)
Jake Russell

Reply #14July 12, 2005, 02:49:17 pm

Slave2School

• Veteran

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2005, 02:49:17 pm »
Nice job!  It's nearly into TDI territory for much less $$$ than a TDI.
Waiting for a bigger better diesel to come along.
2002 ford focme wagon

S-PAutomotive.com