Author Topic: what clutch?  (Read 17091 times)

June 07, 2004, 01:56:19 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

what clutch?
« on: June 07, 2004, 01:56:19 pm »
my clutch is slippy. engine is a 1990 1.6l TD MF code.

gearbox is a long one, i believe an FF, it was in the car when i bought it bolted it a 1.5l NA, we used the clutch that was in the car when i bought it as well.

so now i'm going to replace my clutch.. what is my best bet? will the stock 1.6l TD clutch and pressure plate hold upwards of 200ft/Ibs? 180ft/Ibs or there abouts?

Reply #1June 07, 2004, 02:05:08 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
what clutch?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 02:05:08 pm »
There was a thread on the old forum I wanted to post a link to about when I redid my clutch with a 4-puck and lightned flywheel.  At the same time I also added A peloquin LSD and changed transmission ratios.  But I don't see the old forum being up right now!  :shock:
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #2June 07, 2004, 02:07:08 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

what clutch?
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 02:07:08 pm »
are there any factory solutions? just the daily driver, i'm saving the aftermarket parts budget for the 'weekend cars'  :?  :lol:

Reply #3June 07, 2004, 02:21:29 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

what clutch?
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 02:21:29 pm »
I don't know what the stock clutch was in your case... 200mm or 210mm?  Maybe a 210mm with stock friction surface and a heavy (16v) pressure plate would do the trick, but I dunno.  You'd also get a stiffer clutch pedal.  A lightened flywheel is very streetable and nice upgrade IMO - even for a daily driver by the way!
Jake Russell

Reply #4June 07, 2004, 02:29:09 pm

DieselsRcool

• Junior

what clutch?
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 02:29:09 pm »
Jake
Does a lightened flywheel increase vibration?

Reply #5June 07, 2004, 02:38:46 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

what clutch?
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 02:38:46 pm »
No, no increase in idle vibration at all!  Only downside is that you will have to re-train your clutching foot a bit (a little more gas / a little less clutch during launching.)  And in return, the engine response will be much more lively!  :)

But don't ask about how hard solid-center, 4-puck racing clutches are on motor mounts.  Or how bad engine vibrations get (both idle and cruising) with stiff motor mounts.   :o  It's a great combo with a limited slip diff if you like 2-wheeled burnouts though!  :shock:  On the way to an autocross yesterday morning, it was damp out and I was on high-treadwear street tires (not much traction) but anyway I was doing 2-wheeled burnouts shifting into 4th gear!  I was amazed, and couldn't wipe an ear to ear grin off my face.  Doing 2-wheeled burnouts successively with every shift.  (Not that I usually drive like a maniac like that on the street... that is what autocross racing is for!  I just don't know what came over me.   :lol: )

Edit - by the way, I remember with a stock heavy 200mm flywheel, stock 1.6lTD clutch and taller transmission, I could barely manage it to make a 1-wheeled burnout!
Jake Russell

Reply #6June 10, 2004, 01:50:41 pm

cheng

• User+

what clutch?
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 01:50:41 pm »
so Jake let me get this clear,

I remember from the old site I can lighten the flywheel from 12 down to 8 lbs to be conservative or even 6 lbs if I want to be daring.
them I use the 200mm 16v pressure plate and disc.

I'm getting ready to take the turbo down for a much needed maintenance period.
rings
exhaust
clutch
and then a whole lot of personal comfort repairs.

I have to get the new shop outfitted first
it all takes time and I'm burdened with making a living at the same time. oh well

ken
80 Rabbit 1.5L
82 Caddy 1.6L
84 Jetta Turbo 1.6L
85 Jetta Turbo, hydraulic

ALL DIESEL ALL THE TIME, BABY!

Reply #7June 10, 2004, 02:16:29 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

what clutch?
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 02:16:29 pm »
For a street car, if you decide you don't want to spend a lot of money, and therefore go with a stock disc, I would recommend not worrying about shaving off max weight either, which makes finding an adequately lightened flywheel a lot easier.  8 pounds sounds like a reasonable target.  Focusing on lighter might not be worth spending the time/money/worry on.  I am running 7 pounds but I am racing my car and so I spend extra time fussing over little things like that.  I've only ever heard of a 6 pound VW 020 tranny flywheel being used by one other racer and his Rabbit is the most prepared autocross racing Rabbit that I know of, it's trailered only.  IE: if it were to fail, it wouldn't leave anyone stranded on the side of the road, etc.

I would say if you are willing to deal with a little stiffer clutch pedal, yeah the 16v 210mm pressure plate is also a good idea.  I would say despite the pound or so weight penalty (edit: 2 pounds) of the larger pressure plate, go with a 210mm clutch disc and flywheel on a street application to get more wear area.  It's just not worth sacrificing weight as much for a street application.  I think most would be plenty happy with a 8# 210mm flywheel, 16v pressure plate, and 210mm clutch disc for a TD street application!  If you want to make the clutch pedal stock-softness, only if you are not going to high-power engine mods and will take it easy on the launches, you could substitute in there the standard 8v 210mm pressure plate.  All these parts are readily available from a number of sources for pretty cheap too.  Good luck!

PS - now that the old forum is up and running again here is the link to the thread I was referring to previously: http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4037&t=40
Jake Russell

Reply #8June 10, 2004, 02:21:12 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

what clutch?
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 02:21:12 pm »
By the way, thinking more about the burnout story.  It was actually my engine power that would come up when boost rose at WOT, that would cause the tires to slip!  Yes that was even in 4th gear!  Granted, the traction was a little meager with hard rubber and wet road.  But I've never experienced that before.  Maybe some of the front end weight reduction mods I've made recently contributed to that happening too.
Jake Russell

Reply #9June 10, 2004, 02:27:46 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

what clutch?
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 02:27:46 pm »
By the way, I have a stock, brand new german made 210mm flywheel sitting in my garage here.  Ordered it but turned out I didn't need it...  it's the early style version with the 2 7mm dowel pins, not the later A3 style version that has only the 1 8mm dowel pin.  If it's of any use to one of you I would not refuse a reasonable offer!  The stock 210mm flywheel is a lot lighter than the stock 200mm flywheel coming on our diesel Rabbits by the way!  You could realize a significant rotating mass weight reduction by just bolting on the unmodified 210mm flywheel!  I could measure it's weight if anyone's interested.  I may have a stock 200mm flywheel I can get a comparative weight on too if there is any interest let me know.
Jake Russell

Reply #10June 10, 2004, 03:48:47 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

what clutch?
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2004, 03:48:47 pm »
i'm definitely interested jake. clutch is slipping badly... just one more thing on the list of to-do's i never seem to get a handle on.

clutch and exhaust.. then brakes, wheel bearings, ball joints, suspension, and any bad bushings... on all 4 corners.

and thats just the list of the more 'major' things...

Reply #11June 10, 2004, 11:18:37 pm

Spike_TDI

• Junior

what clutch?
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2004, 11:18:37 pm »
I have a Sach Power Clutch and ligthen flywheel for my car. I paid big $$ for it when they first came out. If I was going to do it again I'd buy one from these guys..http://www.bsiracing.com/Products.asp?FormName=Search&FormAction=search&category_id=9
 They seem fairly cheap and have lots of options

Reply #12June 11, 2004, 02:48:16 am

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

what clutch?
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2004, 02:48:16 am »
I've been having very good luck with my setup. 210 mm w/ lightened flywheel. 2L 16v pressure plate. Kevlar disc. Loads of holding power, easy start-offs in 1st gear. I can't make it slip. It'll hold a second gear burnout from a standstill without breaking a sweat!
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #13June 11, 2004, 10:40:39 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

what clutch?
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2004, 10:40:39 am »
where'd you get the light flywheel and kevlar disc doc? cost? availability? hop on msn some time soon  8)

Reply #14June 29, 2004, 06:40:20 pm

Cheesetoast

• Veteran

what clutch?
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2004, 06:40:20 pm »
my clutch is coming up too, so bottom line, for a street car, that i plan on around 150hp/200 torque max, i should get

-stock td clutch
-16v pressure plate
-8 pound flywheel

????

or should i go sachs sport clutch?

Fixmyvw.com