Author Topic: govenor removal  (Read 42805 times)

Reply #30June 09, 2004, 10:20:57 pm

dieselpower

• Junior

govenor removal
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2004, 10:20:57 pm »
if you take 3mm off the piston, or space the cover 3mm or whatever, you still need to keep the origonal preload on the spring and to do that you could put a 3mm spacer in there but it will stop the piston from moving wont it?? isnt it the actual spring that stops it from going all the way that it can? or is it the smaller piston in the middle that does the timing. cuz if its the big piston, you could just get a spring with the same preload but fewer coils so it can trvael farther. wouldn't that be easyer and cheaper than making custom cnc covers?
84 rabbit 1.6TD
because real cars don't have sparkplugs

Reply #31June 10, 2004, 02:10:37 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
govenor removal
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2004, 02:10:37 am »
Quote from: "dieselpower"
if you take 3mm off the piston, or space the cover 3mm or whatever, you still need to keep the origonal preload on the spring and to do that you could put a 3mm spacer in there but it will stop the piston from moving wont it??

I agree that the spring preload should be kep the same.  But if you don't change the height of the spring perch, no modification is required.  The cover modification I am having done won't alter spring perch height, it is just doing some clearancing where the piston would otherwise interfere with it.

isnt it the actual spring that stops it from going all the way that it can?

Not that I am aware of.  It seems like there is plenty of room for the spring inside the piston, even when it's fully compressed.  Sounds like a good thing to investigate more closely and double check next time I have the 1.6lTD pump apart though.

or is it the smaller piston in the middle that does the timing. cuz if its the big piston, you could just get a spring with the same preload but fewer coils so it can trvael farther. wouldn't that be easyer and cheaper than making custom cnc covers?

You'd have to match the spring rate as well as the free length if you wanted to keep the timing advance curve unaltered before it ran out of room.  Sounds pretty hard to me.  But like I said, I don't think the spring is close to coilbinding.  At least on the pumps I've looked at (which both lack the smaller piston in the middle.)
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #32June 10, 2004, 10:40:57 pm

Spike_TDI

• Junior

govenor removal
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2004, 10:40:57 pm »
Before you get him to cut it, measure the depth of the stop on your 1.6 pumps cover. My AAZ and LR were 3mm, if yours is the same then cutting 3mm is too much. So should only remove 1.5mm.
 As for the spring going into coil bind it's not even close. Remember that the piston only moves 9.78mm stock. The AAZ main spring is 36mm free length, 18mm OD, 2mm wire thickness, 6 coils and 15.8mm solid length.
 As for the smaller piston the only thing I can think of is that it controls the fuel pressure on the spring side of the piston. Why? I don't know maybe to make a non-linear advance curve.

Reply #33June 13, 2004, 11:33:58 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

govenor removal
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2004, 11:33:58 pm »
SpikeTD - What do you mean by depth of stop?  Are you talking about the spring perch surface, or the little knob that sticks out in the middle of the spring?   :?:
Jake Russell

Reply #34June 14, 2004, 04:17:47 am

Spike_TDI

• Junior

govenor removal
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2004, 04:17:47 am »
The depth from the covers sealing side face to where the piston makes contact with the cover.

Reply #35June 14, 2004, 11:07:39 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

govenor removal
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2004, 11:07:39 am »
On the cover I took off the mitsubishi pickup TD, the surface where the piston makes contact and where the o-ring seals and the bolt holes are is flush, IE: 0mm stop depth.  Interesting that it sounds like there are different OEM covers available, from what you are saying.
Jake Russell

Reply #36June 15, 2004, 09:17:00 pm

Turbo DS

• Junior

govenor removal
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2004, 09:17:00 pm »
I just wanted to write: this is the best thread ever!

Good work Jake and Spike etc.  I cannot see why this would not work, as it would be equivalent to lopping off the side of the timing piston.  But, FAR FAR easier, cheaper, adjustable (potentially), and would not require new seals etc.

I am going to have a look right now at a spare pump I have around.  Who knows, maybe by tomorrow I can test out a modded cover!

Jake, I can't wait to hear more about your test results  :wink:

Reply #37June 16, 2004, 02:30:59 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

govenor removal
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2004, 02:30:59 am »
I just went by my machinist's today.  He hasn't gotten to the cover yet, he said probably next weekend.  I told him not to rush (he's essentially doing it for free... and I probably won't have time to install it before then anyway.)  But the good news is he did get to my vacuum pump block-off plug / oil pump thrust bearing, so I can get that in and drive my Rabbit again!  It looks nice and smooth.  Will be interesting to see if this gives me the extra .2 bar oil pressure I used to have when I had the vacuum pump on there.

Problem with giving this machinist something to do like this, simple, IE: "just drill a 25mm hole 3mm deep", is that the only machines they have are capable of oh so much more... all they have are 2 really impressive CNC machines, a CNC mill and a CNC lathe.  I watched the CNC mill go and it changed blades automatically in like 5 seconds!  And boy did the chips fly when it went at it on an aluminum bar stock.  Good thing that plexiglass shield was protecting us.  ;)
Jake Russell

Reply #38June 16, 2004, 02:38:06 am

Turbo DS

• Junior

govenor removal
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2004, 02:38:06 am »
Ok, I had a chance to investigate the timing mechanism on my spare NA pump.  This is such an easy fix!  I have the solenoid pump advance integral to the cover on this pump, but otherwise it should be the same as a standard cover.

Opening the solenoid/cover revealed two ~1.5mm disk type washers placed at either end of a very stiff red spring.  Hmm timing curve adjustments!  I was able to move the timing piston a bit, but chose to open the cover on the other side of the pump for maximum fun.  This action allowed me to move the piston in the advanced state easily.  All in all, the piston was able to protrude somewhere between 4-5mm measured with me trying to hold a dial indicator steady  :? .  Not a fantastic way to measure, but I can say with certainty that the stroke past the cover is way over 3mm.

Now, for the most interesting discovery:  the rear plate causes a restriction, stopping the piston in the retarded direction!  From the pump body, the piston was able to protrude ~1mm.  So, you should be able to widen the overall timing advance curve angle by ~5mm overall!  Granted, the rear plate is more difficult to remove with the pump attached to the car.

As a check, to see if the timing piston spring would return the piston *past* the rear plate, I reinstalled the front cover with the spring and the shims.  Then, the rear plate was removed, and the piston moved slightly.  Next, the timing lever was moved to full cold start advanced and released, and sure enough the piston protruded ~1mm past the pump body.  This was exactly as before when I moved the piston by hand to full retard.  I did this several times, with the same result.  The piston simply prefers a final resting state past the cover.  In addition, you can actually find evidence of the piston hitting the plate by observation.

Timing is everything  :twisted:

Reply #39June 16, 2004, 12:30:44 pm

type53b_gtd

• Junior

• http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd/
govenor removal
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2004, 12:30:44 pm »
Forgive me for coming into this discussion a bit late.

First off, do the following pages aid in this discussion at all:
http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd/bosch-ve/timing_1.jpg
http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd/bosch-ve/timing_2.jpg

Secondly, I'm looking for a bit of clarification on the methods proposed for achiving the goal (attaining more advance at higher rpms)

The two proposed methods would be to increase the allowed travel of the timing piston (7) by either a) clearancing the cover, or shortening the overall length of the piston by removing material on the sping end, correct?

The downside to option a) would be the risk of damaging the sealing surface of the cover to the pump body - the downside to b) would be having to disassemble the pump...?

Man, this stuff is hardcore!

Drew

Reply #40June 16, 2004, 02:45:24 pm

Turbo DS

• Junior

govenor removal
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2004, 02:45:24 pm »
There is still plenty of material for sealing the pump.  One method yes requires pump disassembly, the other does not.  

I was able to mod the front cover for zero dollars, and only about 30 min of my time.  The pump can now advance fully, over 4mm beyond stock.  I will report back later today with the results after I install the cover.  For now, the rear cover will stay as is.

Reply #41June 16, 2004, 03:13:13 pm

type53b_gtd

• Junior

• http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd/
govenor removal
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2004, 03:13:13 pm »
Quote from: "Turbo DS"
I was able to mod the front cover for zero dollars, and only about 30 min of my time.

Do tell.  Dremel?

Drew

Reply #42June 16, 2004, 04:04:38 pm

Spike_TDI

• Junior

govenor removal
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2004, 04:04:38 pm »
I don't have allot of time right now to reply but don't get too crazy with total timing. The total amount the the piston will move is limted by the pump case. I measured the AAZ pump the piston could only protude 6.5mm before the timing pin contacted the case. If the pin breaks your going to have some big problems. Because the cage that holds the camplate rollers is only notched so much to clear the governor asm. If it rotates too much then there going to make contact, which WILL kill the pump very quickly.

Reply #43June 16, 2004, 11:56:19 pm

Turbo DS

• Junior

govenor removal
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2004, 11:56:19 pm »
Good point Spike.  The cover has exactly enough material removed so that when the piston stops, it will actually hit the cover just like stock.

I took a few photos, and have a video as well showing the timing mechanism, but I do not have a host at the moment.  Anyone??  :wink:

Reply #44June 17, 2004, 01:08:56 am

Spike_TDI

• Junior

govenor removal
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2004, 01:08:56 am »
Send them my way and I'll FTP them.
Advanced timing increases cylinder pressure. A bit too much and bye bye headgasket.

S-PAutomotive.com