S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: govenor removal  (Read 42771 times)

June 05, 2004, 08:31:34 pm

dieselpower

• Junior

govenor removal
« on: June 05, 2004, 08:31:34 pm »
hey,
how do I remove the govenor in my pump? I know yoou have to remove the spring and replace it with something solid but how do I actually access the spring.  does anyone have pics of this being done?
thanks fo the help

84 rabbit 1.6TD
because real cars don't have sparkplugs

Reply #1June 06, 2004, 02:16:31 am

whurp

govenor removal
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 02:16:31 am »
I too, am interested in removing the governor, and perhaps some of you generous pro's out there could give some hints as to what other free/extremely cheap power upgrades a poor highschool student like myself could perform.

(I have an '81 Rabbit)

Reply #2June 06, 2004, 09:40:14 am

VWRacer

• Veteran

govenor removal
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 09:40:14 am »
The place to start is by stuying this thread from our old forum.

That having been said, it is clear from your posts that you are not too familiar with these engines. If you go nuts and blow up your engines, may a pox be upon you! (That's old timey talk for, it's your own fault!) ;)
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #3June 06, 2004, 11:49:19 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
govenor removal
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 11:49:19 pm »
I would summarize by saying, bottom line it is proven to be a good thing for getting much more usable powerband and thickness in the power curve at higher RPMs by getting rid of the intermediate spring, which makes the revv-limiter more quicker-reacting by leaving only the lower spring rate main governor left behind.  (Lower spring rate = quicker rate reduction of fuel.)  And, the main spring can be effectively shimmed to have its pre-load force increased, which will increase the RPMs at which it starts to limit fuel, thereby "raising the revv limiter."  Also, throttle linkage (easily modified without needing to open the pump) can be modified (basic idea is to get the input shaft to rotate more at full throttle pedal travel) to also increase the RPM at which the revv limiter acts.

Disabling completely the revv limiter is more of an experimental modification.  As no one knows what would happen if you were to accidentally give an engine too much throttle with too little load, how much RPMs it could safely take.  Keeping the revv limiter, but just increasing the RPM at which it kicks is proven however.  I've revved mine up to 6000rpm and there is someone with a 1.9lTD who posted a G-tech dyno plot of his showing he hit 6500rpm.  Those are the highest numbers I have heard so far.  Exceed at your own risk (and let us know when you do what happens!)

I will add that at an autocross today I stayed at the revv limiter in 2nd for a few seconds on one run (I wasn't watching RPMs when I did it, but I'd say it was probably in the upper-5000 rpm range, possibly at or above 6000 during that duration)  It resulted in excessive crankcase pressure being built up, enough to blow the felt/o-ring type seal at the base of the dipstick tube, where it goes into the engine block, up around the dipstick tube about an inch.  Some oil came out from that opening and covered the bottom of the oil pan, but not a large quantity.  This is despite having an "open to atmosphere" crankcase breather vent on top of the valve cover!

Dyno testing shows that the stock dynamic timing advance is good to at least 5500rpm (measured on an '84 Jetta 1.6lTD) but more timing advance may be necessary in the 5750-6000+ rpm area.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #4June 07, 2004, 11:47:18 am

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

govenor removal
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 11:47:18 am »
I'm not going to say too much here, because I don't remember the exact numbers, and Giles is away on vacation till june 18th. But, I believe that the advance mechanism actually stops advancing at a significantly lower rpm that what you'd expect. There is a considerable gain to be had beyond this point by having the advance mechanism modified. Replacing/modifying the max speed govenor spring is only half the battle.
(but definitely far better than nothing)
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #5June 07, 2004, 01:42:37 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

govenor removal
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 01:42:37 pm »
I would love to hear more about when the timing advance is running out, and I would be very interested in coming up with a "bolt on" sort of mod that could allow it to be increased, if that were possible.

When I had my injection pump out to change motors mounts last, I did a little experimentation with the timing advance, by removing the timing advance cover and checking out the mechanism.  I could see that the plunger/piston would move outwards when the cold start lever was rotated.  And then the piston it could be pushed back after the cold start lever was rotated back to non-cold start position.  I also tried testing how far out I could pull the piston with a little makeshift tool I inserted inside it to try and grab it from it's inside diameter and pull it out more.  I was not able to get it to come out past where the cover would have blocked it's range of motion.  It could have been because I didn't rotate the input shaft though, maybe there were those 4 plunger lobes/rollers inside the pump blocking the rotation of the timing mechanism.  So it was not clear whether or not extra travel could be gained by bolting on a custom cover that would allow more piston clearance.

Also, dyno testing I have done confirmed at least for my pump and injectors, that timing was optimum when set at 1.00mm all the way up to 5500rpm.  At 5750 rpm there was possibly a small power gain with the higher advanced setting.  In particular, 1.17mm (as much as I could rotate the pump) showed a slight benefit over 1.10mm, which was equal to 1.00mm.  However, I wasn't sure if it was a real gain or possibly due to operator error (early lift of the accelerator at the end of the dyno run.)  The dyno measured in 250rpm increments and 5750 was the highest that it measured.  But I can say with confidence that 1.00mm stock timing setting was optimal up to and including 5500rpm.  Now this is for my setup of an '84 Jetta Turbo-Diesel injection pump (with modded governor) with 1.9lTD 2-stage injectors. It could be different for different pumps and/or injectors combinations.
Jake Russell

Reply #6June 07, 2004, 01:49:16 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

govenor removal
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 01:49:16 pm »
Edit: let's try and research if a custom timing advance cover could improve the timing much.  If it might be helpful, I might be able to design and get a batch of them CNC machined but initial cost is high (It's at or above $100 and that cost doesn't seem to matter how many are made!) so the cost per unit goes down dramatically if we were to have a number of them made.  But I would have to be smart in the deisgn so I don't have 100 non-useful covers made up.   :?
Jake Russell

Reply #7June 07, 2004, 02:40:07 pm

DieselsRcool

• Junior

govenor removal
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 02:40:07 pm »
Can't similar effect be gained by just runnung more advanced timing? By advancing the pump to say 1.25 static wouldn't it be the same as getting .25 more advance at "all in" on the timing advance device? Only down side is you would be running .25 too advanced on the lower part of the advance curve. Maybe a noiser idle.

Reply #8June 07, 2004, 02:53:57 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

govenor removal
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2004, 02:53:57 pm »
At 1.17mm, the engine ran rougher, seemed to smoke more at part-load, sometimes backfired or reverse-fired or something awful like that when starting (no need to pull out the cold start knob - also I sure wouldn't recommend using spray ether with this much advance setup ever!)  I really didn't like that whole starting backfiring thing.  But, it did work OK like that for power (IE: it didn't hurt power anywhere running that much, but only helped slightly at highest rpm measured, 5750rpm.)  I actually drove to Topeka Kansas and raced at nationals in 2003 with my injection timing set at 1.17mm.  But now it's back to 1.00mm and it's much happier (I would have set to to 1.00 for nationals too but just left it at 1.17mm because I didn't have time to change it then.)

If you were to over-advance it beyond 1.17mm I'd be weay of loosing power somewhere in the usable power range.  When I was dyno testing I couldn't easily try anything above 1.17mm because that's all my pump would rotate without changing the timing belt over 1 tooth on the timing belt.  Dyno time was a little too precious to take the time to do that for me.  But I felt 1.17 was pretty far advanced enough and woulnd't gain much testing benefit testing higher values.

In other words, it doesn't make sense to optimize your entire rpm range of timing for just one specific, very high, and not very usable rpm.  But, it may have been useful to determine what rpm got helped from advancing the timing this much, if the results can be trusted which I am not 100% confident in, it might help us figure out what is happening with the timing advance mechanism.  If the dyno results can be trusted, I would conjecture that the 84 Jetta 1.6lTD stock pump is limiting timing advance somewhere between 5500-5750rpm, possibly a little lower but not likely by very much.

Oh by the way the timing advance mod I am talking about above would leave the timing unchanged until the stock timing advance piston ran out of travel.  It would just increase the travel that it had available.  I'm not sure if it's possible with just an external pump cover swap, or if more extensive internal pump modifications are required though.  It depends what exactly is limiting the travel of the timing advance piston, which I am not yet sure if it's just the cover itself or if it's something inside the pump.
Jake Russell

Reply #9June 07, 2004, 04:03:09 pm

Dropout

• User+

govenor removal
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2004, 04:03:09 pm »
Didn't Dr. Diesel's custom pump have 3mm trimmed off the governor for this reason, or am I getting confused with something else?

Reply #10June 07, 2004, 04:13:26 pm

Dropout

• User+

govenor removal
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2004, 04:13:26 pm »
A couple of thoughts in terms of cost. (assuming that Jake is right and this will work)

1. A spacer could be used, not a complete new cover. These could be made on a digital readout mill quite easily, especially if the diamond shape wasn't critical. As I mentioned in another post, I think the Dr. Diesel trimmed 3mm on his pump. Why not make 1mm spacers so there would be some tunability? Actually, as I think about this, it gets even easier. The holes are only for clearance so you could take a stack of 1mm shims and just drill three holes through them on a crappy drill press.

2. If the cover can be round instead of diamond shaped, they can be turned on a CNC lathe in about 75 seconds per part. You would still need to drill the bolt holes though unless the lathe had live tooling.

Dropout

Quote from: "fspGTD"
Edit: let's try and research if a custom timing advance cover could improve the timing much.  If it might be helpful, I might be able to design and get a batch of them CNC machined but initial cost is high (It's at or above $100 and that cost doesn't seem to matter how many are made!) so the cost per unit goes down dramatically if we were to have a number of them made.  But I would have to be smart in the deisgn so I don't have 100 non-useful covers made up.   :?

Reply #11June 07, 2004, 04:13:50 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

govenor removal
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2004, 04:13:50 pm »
Dr Diesel has a small amount (less than 1 mm IIRC) shaved off the back end of his engine's injector pintals. This allows faster injection since when the injector opens less of the tip of the pintal is obstructing the injector hole. The modification is not related to timing, per se.
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #12June 07, 2004, 04:20:23 pm

Dropout

• User+

govenor removal
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2004, 04:20:23 pm »
That too, but I'm sure there was something with the advance mechanism. I tried the old site to check, but it's down.

Dropout

Quote from: "VWRacer"
Dr Diesel has a small amount (less than 1 mm IIRC) shaved off the back end of his engine's injector pintals. This allows faster injection since when the injector opens less of the tip of the pintal is obstructing the injector hole. The modification is not related to timing, per se.

Reply #13June 07, 2004, 04:31:08 pm

DieselsRcool

• Junior

govenor removal
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2004, 04:31:08 pm »
I recall too something about that. I'm thinking he trimmed the advance piston to allow further advance.
How about putting in a 3mm spacer under the cover and then drilling and tapping the cover for an adjustable limit screw? You could then adjust max advance to your liking. Oh! How about making the cover so you can also adjust spring preload?  :?  How about spacing the manual advance mech so you can start at a lower static point?  :shock:  :?

As Jake said it all depends on if the piston can travel further.

Reply #14June 07, 2004, 04:40:28 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

govenor removal
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2004, 04:40:28 pm »
I have never seen a detailed explanation or write up of how either of these mods work.  Only teasers that they exist!  :?  And I have asked how they work but no one answers.

C'mon...  I share everything I know with you guys.  Is that too much to ask in return?
Jake Russell