Author Topic: Project Potential... variable vane turbo on 1.6l  (Read 120725 times)

Reply #75May 02, 2005, 06:09:46 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

Project Potential... variable vane turbo on 1.6l
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2005, 06:09:46 pm »
Okay Dave, ya gotta tell us...what is that thang? ;)
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #76May 02, 2005, 06:44:50 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2005, 06:44:50 pm »
Quote from: "fspGTD"
Thanks for the encouragement Stan!  Look earlier in this "mega thread" to read about my VNT controller boost pressure conversion.  Specifically, here:

Thanks Jake! Now I understand the mechanism for controlling it, but still don't see any reference to a controller. After all, your A1 doesn't have a TDI's ECU. Am I missing something here?  :oops:
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #77May 02, 2005, 07:18:46 pm

MrDave

• User+

« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2005, 07:18:46 pm »
Quote from: "VWRacer"
Okay Dave, ya gotta tell us...what is that thang? ;)

VWMS shifter.
link

-Dave

Reply #78May 02, 2005, 07:23:00 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2005, 07:23:00 pm »
In theory Stan, this will work out just like the wastegate of a 1.6lTD...  Nice and low tech!  :P

I am hoping that the flipped-over spring in the VNT can will hopefully be all of the vane controller that I am going to need!  I will likely just hook up a small line from the intake manifold directly to the VNT can.  As boost pressure rises, the VNT can will open the vanes, and hopefully the system will reach a stable equilibrium boost pressure, ideally getting there quickly and smoothly.  Sure it won't be capable of doing fancy stuff the TDI computer does like opening the vanes at idle to improve idling fuel economy, or reducing boost pressure at altitude to keep the turbocharger 'safe', or going into a "limp home" mode.  (But also, these are all kind of lame features anyway, right?  :wink:)

Expected boost pressure equilibrium is somewhere over 9psi (I'd guess a little bit)... but how much exactly it will be or how well it will work, can't really say until I complete the install and get it all up and running in the car.  I just hope the boost doesn't creep or spike too badly, or go "buckin' bronco" on me!  :lol:
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #79May 02, 2005, 07:46:16 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2005, 07:46:16 pm »
Alright...thanks for the great explanation, Jake! Like everybody else, I can hardly wait to see how it works out.  :D

Thanks Dave...that shifter is the shiznitz!  :twisted:
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #80May 02, 2005, 10:40:24 pm

Staley

• Junior

• http://www.bartuning.com
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2005, 10:40:24 pm »
This is turning out to be a really cool thread
oh and...
HURRY UP ALREADY!
 :lol:

I'm excited to hear the results of your efforts.
Houston's APR Distributor
www.bartuning.com

Reply #81May 02, 2005, 11:28:47 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2005, 11:28:47 pm »
I just hope the boost doesn't creep or spike too badly, or go "buckin' bronco" on me!

If the "buckin' bronco" scenario does occur it should be a fairly simple matter to "dampen" the response a little bit by restricting the flow through the wastegate hose. If the response is too slow and you get bad spikes, I'm not sure what to do...  :?

Reply #82May 03, 2005, 11:48:06 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2005, 11:48:06 pm »
I am steadily inching my way towards project completion here...  Today I got the oil return fitted and welded into the oil pan.  I recessed the fitting back into the pan as far as practical (welding it to the inside of the pan rather than the outside) so the oil drain line would get a little more clearance to the driveaxle.  I also wanted it as high as possible without interfering with the pan lip.  But when I welded the fitting with the oxy-acetylene torch so close to the pan sealing surface, the sealing surface near the fitting warped!  So then I spent a few hours futzing around with the oil pan making special braces so I could hammer the warped surface back to flat without damaging the threads of the AN fitting.  It was a lot of work, but I avoided damaging the threads and I think the pan is now going to seal up great.  I think I know now why VW made their factory TD oil pans with the drain fittings spaced so far away from the pan sealing surface now!  :?

Anyway, the oil pan is all cleaned up now and has a coat of paint on it.  It should be dry tomorrow and ready to bolt up, then I can finish making the oil drain line and move on to some downpipe fabrication!
Jake Russell

Reply #83May 04, 2005, 08:00:52 am

Staley

• Junior

• http://www.bartuning.com
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2005, 08:00:52 am »
keep us posted!
Houston's APR Distributor
www.bartuning.com

Reply #84May 05, 2005, 12:30:53 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2005, 12:30:53 am »
Snapped a few pictures today...

oil pan with AN fitting installed:

here's how it looks with the windage tray 8)

Made up an Aeroquip -10 braided stainless hose with straight and 90 degree ends:

The turbo oil system is ready to flow!

I also relocated the fuel filter inside the passenger fender (essentially copied the setup off my GTD.)  Main things left to tackle are the downpipe, air filter, and boost tube.
Jake Russell

Reply #85May 05, 2005, 12:36:44 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2005, 12:36:44 am »
I also loosely installed the long-runner NA Diesel intake in the engine bay to see how it fits with the TDI exhaust manifold / variable-vane turbo:

Jake Russell

Reply #86May 05, 2005, 12:41:16 am

jackbombay

• Veteran

« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2005, 12:41:16 am »
Nice work!

This is looking great, I can't see why it would not work very well.

Reply #87May 06, 2005, 02:17:19 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2005, 02:17:19 am »
Thanks!  I am getting close... still need to do some air intake and exhaust tubing and duct work (I've sort of been saving that for last), but just about everything else is ready to fire up now.  The fuel system is all ready to go, even primed it including the new relocated fuel filter.  All coolant lines are installed, coolant is filled, and I even pressure tested the system to 15 psi - with no leaks.  Fresh oil is filled in the sump and the system has been pressurized / primed with a techtonics hand-drill oil pump adapter.  All the manifolds are torqued up, with the 1.6lTD intake manifold being installed.  The electrical stuff is all hooked up (except wiring for the new gauges which I need to route past the firewall.)

You guys won't believe how much room is behind the engine!  The TDI turbo really "hides out" down low underneath the intake manifold.  Another cool feature of this setup is ALL the TDI turbo's exhaust manifold fasteners were directly accessible... can easily check the torque, no unbolting the turbo from the exhast manifold first.  Nothing is in the way!

I have not tried totally priming the fuel system like this before, but I think it may have worked really well.  It will be interesting to see how long it takes cranking the motor before it starts.  I fitted a squeeze bulb to the fuel return and pumped away until fuel filled the new fuel filter, entered the pump, came through the return line (could really feel the resistance increase when the fuel starts passing through the tiny hole in the fuel return banjo) until it leaked out the outlet end of the squeeze bulb.  Then I hooked the return line back up to the tank fitting.

I also replaced the alternator pulley.  I lucked out in that an old 40mm wrench I had kept in the bicycle toolbox fit the outer alternator pulley nut perfectly!  Combined with a standard big socket (can't remember what size it was... but probably around 3/4") fit the inner nut pretty well.  I was able to change the pulley with the alternator still installed in the car:

Here is a comparison of the old versus new pulleys.  The old one is definitely worn compard to the new one.  I believe that it no longer had the proper conical profile that matches the v-belt.  I believe as a result of the worn pulley, the belt couldn't get good traction and belt life was short.  (Close-up of the pulley profiles - old pulley on right, new pulley on left:)

Still trying to source a proper TD harmonic balancer.
Jake Russell

Reply #88May 06, 2005, 02:43:11 am

srivett

• Veteran

« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2005, 02:43:11 am »
A new pulley!  Where did you find it and what is the part #?  I desperately need one as my old pulley was ripping the cogs off my belts after 20K km.  I just got one put on by a wrecker and I fear that it is going to do the same thing...in 10K km.  Could you be so kind as to take a photo with a 13 mm (1/2 inch) belt sitting in the new pulley?  My belts are always sticking out further than the edge of the pulley for some reason.  I have a trunk full of spare belts with frayed edges and missing cogs.   :shock:

Thanks, Steve
1992 1.6D Golf - 412K km
Mint except for chipped paint, no rust :)

Reply #89May 06, 2005, 03:03:32 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2005, 03:03:32 am »
It seems all of these old bosch alternators with the sheetmetal pulleys have this same problem.  The sheetmetal pulleys just don't hold up forever.  Even rebuilt alternators usually don't have new pulleys and so the problem is not fixed with them.

I got this pulley kit from the VW dealer.  The VW part number for the pulley kit is: 049 903 119 L.  The cost was about $30.  I have found it listed aftermarket for a little bit cheaper, but not much.  For example, GPR parts lists it for $25(US):

I know that this pulley kit fits the Bosch alternator that came on '81-'84 Rabbit Diesels, but I don't know what else.

If I work on the car tomorrow, sure I will take a picture of how the v-belt sits in the pulley for you!

I found an old picture of the carnage that happened when the alternator belt broke on my GTD and got wound around the plastic timing belt cover, burned through it, and broke the timing belt.  It's a really ugly picture.  And I have a bent valve and broken cam lobe sitting on my mantle as a reminder of that incident.  You really don't want that happening to your car!
Jake Russell

Fixmyvw.com