S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: AAZ disastrous after IP reseal and calibration.  (Read 8866 times)

April 16, 2014, 03:34:49 am

Torchd

• Veteran

AAZ disastrous after IP reseal and calibration.
« on: April 16, 2014, 03:34:49 am »
My IP was leaking for the past 4 years now and I didn't wanna get it touched since we do not have competent diesel injection service centers here but the leaking got really bad and it was a bi*th to start in the mornings specially when cold. So I decided to get it resealed.

I sent it to Bosch authorized diesel service center and told them to reseal it only as it was perfect otherwise. They said that to reseal it, it will be taken apart and and then re calibrated. I asked if they had the correct calibration specs for my pump and they said they did.

Well, not really, they punched in my pump part number in their system and saw that it had been super seeded by another pump for which they had the calibration specs;since this pump super seeded my pump, they calibrated my ip with calibration specs of the ip that super seeded mine.

I just fitted the pump and timed it to 0.75 using a dial gauge. The car is awful, extremely sluggish, very long cranking to start, no power, laggy throttle, white smoke at idle and dark grey smoke at higher levs, sounds normal at idle but very harsh sound when revved even a little bit. Switches off while shifting.

I have spoken to them just now and they said then when I sent in the IP, they ran it on the test bench and noted down the fuel figures since I said the car ran fine otherwise and then they calibrated the same fuel parameters into the pump after putting it back together. They say that they are 100% sure that the calibration is spot on and suspect issue with the timings.

My question is AAZ has timing adjustment in the pulley, the pulley attaches to the coupling (thats what I think it is called) and then that coupling is mounted onto the pump drive shaft, so does this pump have a key between this coupling and the shaft? The bosch guys say that it doesn't and if it doesn't then what good is the slot on the coupling and the 6mm whole in the pump body to lock the timing? The coupling could have been placed in an absolutely opposite position while re fitting. How do I set the timings then??

Please help.. my car was a pleasure to drive and now it is a total disaster!! :'(

Reply #1April 16, 2014, 06:16:31 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

Re: AAZ disastrous after IP reseal and calibration.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 06:16:31 am »
Try advancing timing. Book spec is 0.8, or 0.9 depending upon which book! so go for 0.85 and alter it to suit.

Check TDC on flywheel corresponds with pulse of diesel from #1 fuel line after you think you've set it correctly, if you still have issues ...
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #2April 16, 2014, 10:45:58 am

Torchd

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 10:45:58 am »
Thanks.... I plan to try that.

Any body else?

Reply #3April 16, 2014, 03:36:14 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re:
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 03:36:14 pm »
They would have had to replace parts to alter anything significantly.

Make sure the timing is right first, sounds very much like it is not correct. How did you set timing?

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #4April 17, 2014, 01:53:29 am

Torchd

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 01:53:29 am »
I followed these instructions.

Reply #5April 17, 2014, 01:57:13 am

Torchd

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 01:57:13 am »
Like I said earlier.... the timings can be all wrong if there is no key between the coupling and the driveshaft since the locking slot is in the coupling and they could have placed the coupling 180deg. in the wrong direction!

How to set the timings correctly assuming there is no key and the coupling position on the shaft is way off?

Reply #6April 17, 2014, 02:08:55 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 02:08:55 am »
As long as fuel is coming out the right port at the right time and you've measured the lift correctly there should be no issue getting it set right.  Your instructions look to be correct.

That said, if you have the '2 piece' style of pump the pump hub is supposed to be set correctly on the pump already.  You should just be able to put the lock pin in the pump with the pulley loose on its hub and then get the engine set to TDC.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #7April 17, 2014, 03:59:37 am

Torchd

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 03:59:37 am »
The guy who worked on the pump is not sure about the position of the hub (coupling) on the pump; says it will have to be trial and error and I know that can't be correct.

I am not sure if my pump is called 2 piece style so attaching some pics before the reseal.

Reply #8April 17, 2014, 04:03:19 am

Torchd

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 04:03:19 am »

Reply #9April 17, 2014, 06:46:32 am

Torchd

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 06:46:32 am »
Where are all the experts?? Help guys!!!

Reply #10April 17, 2014, 07:01:40 am

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 07:01:40 am »
That is a 2  piece pulley.  Maybe there is a  ghost mark from the bolts in the  position  where it used to  be.  If he  put the other half together like it was before, lining up on those might get you really close.  I've  got within spec that way before.

Reply #11April 17, 2014, 07:19:32 am

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 07:19:32 am »
I presume that the pictures were taken before the IP was serviced? That thing is filthy. Plus, it seems the idle-bump control rod is missing from the cold-start lever.

As stated earlier, to validate gross internal timing, the engine should be slowly turned by hand to see if a blob of fuel emerges from #1 hardline before TDC.

Reply #12April 17, 2014, 07:30:52 am

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 07:30:52 am »
p.s.

The timing directions in earlier post do not include the vital element of pre-loading the dial gauge to >2.5mm. That pre-load allows the gauge to follow the IP plunger back down the camplate to its lowest point, where the dial is reset to the closest "zero" (e.g. 1.0, 2.0). After which, the hub can be turned to give a reading of +.80 (e.g. 1.80, 2.80).

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 07:57:42 am by TylerDurden »

Reply #13April 17, 2014, 07:50:25 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 07:50:25 am »
So much fail...  In tdi section i posted a topic, thread on mk4 pully on rover pump... The hub info you seek for knowledge there...

Pull hub off... If like mk4 there notch in case by seal that points to key way...

Keyway when built correctly points to divertervalve #1 if you have x ray vision to look thru pump.... This can be 180° off and be your issue... If they put it together wrong... The keyway is 10 to 11 o clock when looking head on....

If it lacks the mark by seal, both rover and mk4 has a casting on the pump that also works as pointer... Just mk4 has real timming line... Rover does not...take hub off, post pic... For poo n giggles mark 12, 6, 3, 9 like a clock so i can pointout what i can see in my head h

Why vw, and everyone else does not want info shared sux... Just do it... I lack test bench... So cannot yet test pumps.... Working on this... Lack any to compair yours too... Any specs so on... But if pump shop did

Reply #14April 17, 2014, 07:58:00 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 07:58:00 am »
Hate phone.... I could look at it, but i think they screwed with thingd, like say hammer mod... Unless you can test properly e
All things they screw with they can screw it up... Why i had to learn the voodoo for my own knowledge... Seen your isdue a few times... Why i wanted good assistance on pump reseal... Got crapped on... So invested on edjumacation... I know what i can touch, not touch to keep self outta trouble for now... A expert not so smart... They touched one of those things...

Id be looking at hammer mod, fuel body type pressure stuff... Clogged out bolt...

S-PAutomotive.com