S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: CE2 tach  (Read 2349 times)

May 21, 2012, 10:15:36 pm

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

CE2 tach
« on: May 21, 2012, 10:15:36 pm »
Is it a Plug-in and play or not. I plugged mine in and everything but the tach works, is there other things that need to be done?

“If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world." Jesus Christ

Reply #1May 21, 2012, 10:36:41 pm

8v-of-fury

Re: CE2 tach
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 10:36:41 pm »
Is your car CE2? I am guessing so because it plugged in, lol. Is it a diesel tach?

Reply #2May 22, 2012, 12:21:45 am

Thezorn

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 12:21:45 am »
If your car came with a tach orginally and you are replacing a broken one, then the tach doesnt work or has a bad connection. If you are putting it in a car that orginally came with a cluster with a clock then you will need to run a wire from the W terminal on the alt. to the back of the cluster.

http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/CE2cluster.html

Use this link for firguring out what pin in the harness needs the wire from the alternator.
(Its T28/10 which will be in the main plug with the majority of wires coming into it
In that link it says it will be a green wire, this is for cars that already have the wire run from factory.

I know my Mk3 had a clock from factory but still had the wire run from the alternator, which was green. I personally dont know whether your Mk2 would have one from factory.

If you want to test the W terminal to see if it is putting out the signal for the tach then grab a multi-meter. Switch the multi-meter the frequncey, stick one end on the correct prong on the alternator W terminal and ground the other. If this reads frequency and the number grows with increased engine RPM then your alternator is sending out the signal as it should be.

If you have a multi-meter I would test the W termianl before I began to dig an deeper.
Compounded 93 AAZ

Reply #3May 22, 2012, 11:12:52 am

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 11:12:52 am »
yes its a diesel tach, and yes it was originally a standard clock cluster, Ok so test the W terminal, if power going out, then most likely i'll have to run a wire from there to the cluster. Where does the wire go on the cluster. Is it the same as setting up a gasser tach?

I was under the impression that all of mk2 diesel were wired for the tach, it was just if it had it or not. If not no big deal.
Does anyone here have experience with CE2 Mk2  diesel cluster with a tach being put into a mk2 diesel without a tach?
“If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world." Jesus Christ

Reply #4May 22, 2012, 11:56:36 am

rodpaslow

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 11:56:36 am »
I have an NA 1.6 90' golf that is ce2 and I had to do nothing except install the diesel tach.  If you have a replacement cluster (speedo and tach) I don't see why it wouldn't work (that is what I did).  I had a wire that had always been connected to the w on the alternator.  It just wasn't doing anything until I put the tach in.   

99' 1.9 1Z Tdi, hybrid pump -1.9 housing & rover internals, 2052 wastegate turbo,.25 hflox nozzles, SDI intake, CTN tranny
96' 1.6 TD Golf, Giles pump, VNT 17, Gas changed to Diesel, Air to Water Int.

Reply #5May 22, 2012, 06:55:42 pm

JerryGTD

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 06:55:42 pm »
I swapped a Canadian Motometer CE2 diesel cluster with tach into my 1991 ECOdiesel that had a VDO cluster with an analog clock in it. I also swapped the speedometers in order to keep the mileage correct and to have it read in MPH and not KPH.  Everything worked correctly after the swap including the tach.

You could try cleaning your wire connections and possibly ground wire connections under the dashboard area.
1991 Jetta GL ECOdiesel

Reply #6May 22, 2012, 07:49:58 pm

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 07:49:58 pm »
ok thank you