Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: New Rabbit Owner!  (Read 7245 times)

March 02, 2012, 04:22:49 pm

Rising

• Veteran

New Rabbit Owner!
« on: March 02, 2012, 04:22:49 pm »
Hello all! I just purchased my first Mk1 and my first VW!! I'm brand new to Volkswagen and Rabbits but I've been a part of the subaru community for a couple years now. I don't spend alot of time posting on forums, but i spend a ton of time reading all the information that has already out there!

My new car is a 1984 Rabbit Diesel with only 115,000 Miles on it! I picked it up for 650$ off of a guy up in Delaware because it needs some work to be on the road again and he didn't have time for it. The car had two sets of a rims and tires with it and a box full of tools and parts, but is missing pretty much the whole front end. The engine runs good but the clutch cable is messed up/broken/disconnected. So I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, but i'm sure it will be great!

But anyway i'm making this car into a daily driver but i need some advice:

What parts should I replace as preventative maintenance before I start driving the car? I am brand new to volkswagen and diesels and I want to clean the car up and really give her a good life so I want to make sure i don't miss anything to start out. I'm planning on changing the oil, changing the timing belt, changing the air filter, and whatever else i come across that needs fixing. She's getting a brand new battery and clutch cable to start out with. But is there anything else problematic i should look into?

Also I'm planning on eventually swapping on a turbo set up. Now i've read several threads ("Make your NA Diesel (non turbo) a faster car, more power out of 1.6td, more power out of 1.9td, the faq section, and a few others) concerning this swap and getting power out of these engines and I think i have a basic idea of what will be involved. But just to double check, here's my plans:

Goal: 100hp @ 15-20psi?

New Plans:
Modified Gasser Intake Manifold
VNT-15 w/integrated exhaust manifold
Turbo Oil Pan
Turbo Oil Pump
Oil Lines
Volvo Oil Cooler
Intercooler + Piping(Need help deciding on this)
Governor Mod/Other IP Mods (Advanced timing ect.)
EGT and Boost Gauges

Keep the EGT's Under 1200 and enjoy?

I think that pretty much sums up what I need to get the swap working. (to my understanding). Now i could probably get most of this as stock parts from a td turbo swap ( i think there is one for sale on the forum) but then once i do that i'm probably going to want to get some different manifolds or something else to tweak, so i'd rather just start with a good setup and spend some money now to have a decent build starting off.

Are my goals reasonable?
Does my build sound reasonable?
Will the transmission/clutch be okay with that much power change?

I'm just looking for help in what direction to go so that I don't end up making a bunch of newbie mistakes and regretting it later. Also any suggested reading is always appreciated. I'd actually rather just read than post but I thought I'd introduce myself and get some ideas :)

Anyway! Any help would be great! And I look forward to being a part of this community!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 04:36:28 pm by Rising »

'84 Rabbit Diesel- 1.6D Stock

Reply #1March 02, 2012, 06:28:46 pm

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

Re: New Rabbit Owner!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 06:28:46 pm »
Why hello there! Nice to see another new face around here.  Your rabbit sounds nice; do you have any pics of it to put up so we can see what you're playing with?  How's the body?  Is the interior in good serviceable condition?  Can I make a guess that it's a beige 4-door?  We've had a rash of them showing up lately, mine included.  :P

Sounds like you have most of the bases covered with preventative maintenance parts.  But before performing some of the larger services e.e. the timing belt, I suggest you pick up the factory VW rabbit service manual
from robert bentley publishers.  This is what we here on the forums colloquially refer to as the 'Bentley Manual' or 'Bentley'.  It will show you of any specific procedures and tools that you need to accomplish some of the heavier jobs, such as diesel injection pump timing, deciding your cylinder head gasket size, and all the way to engine and trans rebuild specs.  One more thing though; check out your cooland and make sure it has no oil in it.  It shouw if you have either a bad head gasket, warped head, or worse an internally cracked block, again mine included.  :(

I'm out of tiem.  Will post about you build goals later.  Or somebode else will beat me to it.  Welcome!  ;D

Reply #2March 02, 2012, 09:06:37 pm

Rising

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 09:06:37 pm »
Hey! Thanks for the warm welcome! And it is actually not beige or a four door! But I almost wish it was! Haha. It needs some work! Namely the front end needs replaced, and the clutch cable and it needs a heck of a cleaning! But anyway here are the only pics I have of it so far! It's currently parked at the in laws until i can put it together to drive it home so I won't have more pics probably till next weekend :(

Anyway so that's it! The body seems really good except for that little missing front end. The guy was apparently half way through converting it to round euro lights when he stopped. So i'm trying to source a radiator support to either finish the conversion or restore it back to squares but they are pretty hard to find in my area :(

The only other thing that bothers me is the paint. Usually i'm not picky about paint but this is not stock paint. This is some guys idea of a super cool blue which is really just not my style. I would have loved faded stock paint any day over sonic the hedgehog blue. But it'll work for now. The car was originally dark red (as evidenced by the interior metal and the engine bay.) And I really like the idea of getting back to a red car. But I'm decided on what to do as far as that is concerned.

The interior seems really nice and is all together so far as I can see. The seats have covers and seem pretty torn up underneath but the dash and all the door cards are in good shape as is the backseat. These cars are really suprisingly comfortable and roomy! I thought I was going to be hitting my head all mashed up in it, but it has way more room than my Impreza. I like it more and more every time i see it :)

Sorry I keep writing books but thanks for taking the time to read and respond! (i'm just excited about my new rabbit :))

Reply #3March 02, 2012, 11:50:39 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 11:50:39 pm »
Rising  You be Welcome only if you paint that rig Beige.  We need a threesome.  Seems like that should be sign up criteria, got beige colored car?  Good!  You IN. 

So looks like you have a big need for front end parts.  But at the price you paid for the car you should have the pocket cash to go Junking.  Not sure how well supplied you are on that.  I would work and spend money on the mechanical parts first and then go to the paint and interior stuff.  With one exception.  Drivers seating area.  Any problem with that seat I would fix it, any problem with the mirror adjustments, door card, handles or window cranks fix em.  You need to be comfortable in the driver mode.  Fiddling with things that are loose and or broken are a distraction and driving this car is going to be way different than the Impreza.

Prowl the Craigslistings in your drivable area.  I have scored good deals on body kit, seats, rims and snowtires in the recent months.  I am slowly bringing an 81 back to nice or better condition.  Not stock mind you, just nice. 

Again Welcome, DAS

Reply #4March 03, 2012, 11:40:02 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 11:40:02 am »
Rising  You be Welcome only if you paint that rig Beige.  We need a threesome.  Seems like that should be sign up criteria, got beige colored car?  Good!  You IN. 

i believe that my original beige one, and the 2 fairly fresh ones make that a 3some.. lol.

and judging by his interior, im gonna say it USED TO be beige..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #5March 03, 2012, 11:50:17 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 11:50:17 am »
R.O.R.  That is what I thought as well but he said it was dark red on the interior and under the hood.  I was thinking new members needed to have tan cars not you old dog. 

Reply #6March 03, 2012, 11:58:42 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 11:58:42 am »
R.O.R.  That is what I thought as well but he said it was dark red on the interior and under the hood.  I was thinking new members needed to have tan cars not you old dog. 

lol..

well, lets find someone to take over my old beige rabbit, and we can make them a new user..

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #7March 03, 2012, 11:59:27 am

Rising

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 11:59:27 am »

i believe that my original beige one, and the 2 fairly fresh ones make that a 3some.. lol.

and judging by his interior, im gonna say it USED TO be beige..

I suppose if I HAVE to to be in the club....  ;D But I'm really fairly convinced it was medium/dark red. I'll take some more pics once I get this thing back together! But who knows what the guy did. ::)

So the quest for front end parts continues! I called every junk yard in the northern virginia area and only one of them had a golf or cabriole and they wanted 150$ for the radiator support and 100$ a piece for fenders! Which i think is a bit ridiculous for a pick a part place. Especially considering this: http://www.aptuning.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1587&category_id=1020&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=14

Anyone ever ordered from them before? 150 Shipped for a brand new radiator support seems a whole heck of alot better than paying 150 for a possibly rusted out one or damaged one. And the fenders brand new on there are only 100 a piece too! Anyway I'm running out of options and I need one on the quick! But i'd rather not pay a ton if i don't have to. Any other ideas? I checked craigslist, vwvortex, here, every junkyard in delaware and northern virginia.. i'm running out of options. And i need it by next weekend!

Reply #8March 03, 2012, 12:05:39 pm

ilikevwdiesel

• Veteran

• Erupt into a BEVRAGE this summer with Glug!
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 12:05:39 pm »
Look, if corn and kudzu fall in love and have a baby in a lab under the supervision of scientists working in my employ, WHO AM I TO STOP THAT other than the CEO responsible for stopping it???

My Bio

Reply #9March 03, 2012, 12:07:49 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 12:07:49 pm »
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/pts/2774975636.html

damn, we get whole cabbys for that much on this side of the country.. running/driving..

Reply #10March 03, 2012, 12:33:39 pm

Rising

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 12:33:39 pm »
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/pts/2774975636.html

I could possibly do that if I get my impreza sold, but that leaves me in an awkward situation with two cars that don't run and a sold car that does. Haha. I may just order the new radiator support.

Reply #11March 03, 2012, 12:35:31 pm

ilikevwdiesel

• Veteran

• Erupt into a BEVRAGE this summer with Glug!
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 12:35:31 pm »
the ad sez make an offer, you could take what you need and part the rest probably wouldn't have too much into it by the time you were done. low ball em, the wurst he can do is say no.
Look, if corn and kudzu fall in love and have a baby in a lab under the supervision of scientists working in my employ, WHO AM I TO STOP THAT other than the CEO responsible for stopping it???

My Bio

Reply #12March 04, 2012, 10:12:07 pm

Rising

• Veteran

Re: Re: New Rabbit Owner!
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 10:12:07 pm »
Well the guy still hasn't responded to my inquiry about that far so that's a no go too. I guess I'll just order that.

Anyone want to help me out with my build goals? Also I've heard stock curb weight is about 1980 or so? Any confirmation of this?

Sent from my ADR6400L

Reply #13March 04, 2012, 10:28:48 pm

JBG3

• Junior

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 10:28:48 pm »

The only other thing that bothers me is the paint. Usually i'm not picky about paint but this is not stock paint. This is some guys idea of a super cool blue which is really just not my style. I would have loved faded stock paint any day over sonic the hedgehog blue. But it'll work for now. The car was originally dark red (as evidenced by the interior metal and the engine bay.) And I really like the idea of getting back to a red car. But I'm decided on what to do as far as that is con

Kinda agree with you on the paint, I love blue, but for some reason that color on your rabbit reminds me of a hot wheel!  Looks like a nice complete car, look forward to your progress!
1986 1.6NA Jetta

Reply #14March 05, 2012, 04:43:32 pm

Rising

• Veteran

Re: Re: New Rabbit Owner!
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 04:43:32 pm »
Yeah the blue is driving me nuts! Ooh well. I'll deal with it after I have the car together.

Speaking of which I just ordered the new core support! Does it get welded or riveted on?

Sent from my ADR6400L

S-PAutomotive.com