Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: DIY VE pump test stand  (Read 7058 times)

September 08, 2010, 09:45:35 am

vwjunkie53

• Junior

• The Volvo diesel forum
DIY VE pump test stand
« on: September 08, 2010, 09:45:35 am »
Has anyone built one, or seen directions for making one.  I'm not talking super sophisticated, but more than spinning the pump with a drill!  I did a search with no luck, and I also searched the web through yahoo and google.  Had no problem finding DIY instuctions for a injector pop tester, but came up dry for a pump stand.  Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Jason

1984 Volvo 760 GLE,  "built" D24T w/ARP studs, MLS head gasket, ported/polished head, 3 angle valve job, NA cam, 56mm T3/T4, NA manifold, FMIC w/ 3" alum piping, 3" turbo back, detailed in CAT yellow. T-5 manual swapped w/ Clutchnet 6-puck.  Best of 16.07@86mph with orig. worn out engine.

Reply #1September 08, 2010, 09:59:31 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: DIY VE pump test stand
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 09:59:31 am »
Someone was talking about building one a while ago... I guess you'd have to figure out what you were trying to measure and what you planned to do upon measuring it - for instance it wouldn't be hard to measure the output from all 4 delivery valves, but if they were different what would you do?  Likewise you could sort out how much fuel you're getting at a given RPM and throttle position, but again it takes a pump master to really know how to process the information.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #2September 08, 2010, 10:03:43 am

regcheeseman

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 10:03:43 am »
for instance it wouldn't be hard to measure the output from all 4 delivery valves, but if they were different what would you do?

I'll be interested in this thread, as it's something I've been mulling over recently

Reply #3September 08, 2010, 10:11:43 am

vwjunkie53

• Junior

• The Volvo diesel forum
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 10:11:43 am »
Pretty much, I'm interested in pump output quantity, and to be able to calbrate it for full output and still be able to return to idle, rather than playing with it on the engine and having it try to run away on me.  I suppose, on a more basic level, just to test that the pump works at all!

Jason
1984 Volvo 760 GLE,  "built" D24T w/ARP studs, MLS head gasket, ported/polished head, 3 angle valve job, NA cam, 56mm T3/T4, NA manifold, FMIC w/ 3" alum piping, 3" turbo back, detailed in CAT yellow. T-5 manual swapped w/ Clutchnet 6-puck.  Best of 16.07@86mph with orig. worn out engine.

Reply #4September 08, 2010, 11:31:12 am

RadoTD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Stage WTF
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 11:31:12 am »
What if either each delivery valve or all 4 combined and were routed somehow into very precise graduated cylinders. Then hook up either something like a counter that will tick for every revolution or push a measuring wheel against the IP pulley. With that, you could repeatedly turn the pump over enough times to get a volume of fuel large enough that it can be measured with reasonable repeatability

enough boost is when you have 3 dimple marks in the hood from the valve cover nuts..  ;D

Reply #5September 08, 2010, 01:22:24 pm

vwjunkie53

• Junior

• The Volvo diesel forum
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 01:22:24 pm »
It's amazing how useful the the search function is.

Not very usefull for me, as I searched for ve test stand, ve pump tester, etc... and didn't come across your thread.

Thanks for the link though.

Jason

Reply #6September 08, 2010, 02:03:24 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 02:03:24 pm »
Running pump and delivery valves and open lines wouldn't tell you much, surely you need the back pressure of injectors. Specifically your injectors as in situ, to see what you are really getting, and a set of closely calibrated injectors to prove fault with delivery valves. If your injectors squirted equally into 4 bedpans with their respective line and their delivery valves on their pump, then that's as far as you needed to go IMO......

Otherwise

Swapping delivery valves around would then indicate 'odd one out' ... Well that's how I'd do it on a budget.
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #7September 08, 2010, 02:35:46 pm

vwjunkie53

• Junior

• The Volvo diesel forum
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 02:35:46 pm »
I've never asked, but when you read different performance fuel pump ratings, they usually list how many cc's of fuel the pump pushes.  That must be straight from the pump, unless there is a specific calibrated test injector.  Different injectors obviously flow different amounts of fuel so that wouldn't really tell you pump capability.

Jason

Reply #8September 08, 2010, 04:13:02 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 04:13:02 pm »
I've never asked, but when you read different performance fuel pump ratings, they usually list how many cc's of fuel the pump pushes.  That must be straight from the pump, unless there is a specific calibrated test injector.  Different injectors obviously flow different amounts of fuel so that wouldn't really tell you pump capability.

That's the wonderful thing about advertising... most people never even stop to question it.

As soon as the word "performance" is mentioned all bets are off. Every pump manufacturer has very specific specifications for testing their pump but once it's been modified there are no ISO standards and most shops keep their mods and bench setups highly guarded. A pump with shop A's setup may flow 400ccs but with shop B's setup it could flow 600ccs.

In the Cummins world lots of guys don't want to have shops build their pumps because they know that if the shop that is doing the build isn't very familiar with high output pumps they will cause a lot of damage to the pump because the test plan specifies certain nozzles with certain orifice plates. The stock injector setup simply can not flow as much fuel as the pump is trying to push out and expensive damage results.

If you are planning on building a test bench with the purpose of testing pumps according to Bosch test plans you will also need to match the line length and diameter, the injector nozzle and the orifice plate and any of the other specs on the test plan.

If you just want to build something to see if the pump works then really a drill is all you need. If you put a lot of effort into the bench you would probably be ahead of the game to buy either used or Chinese.
Tyler

Reply #9September 08, 2010, 05:45:03 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 05:45:03 pm »
so how many ccs does shop g's put out  :P
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #10September 08, 2010, 06:12:03 pm

Vincent Waldon

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• My collection of HOWTOs
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 06:12:03 pm »
He could tell you, but he'd have to kill you.   ;D
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3, 1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta