Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 74 mpg!  (Read 8315 times)

Reply #15May 13, 2010, 03:41:18 pm

PBR

• Personal Text
    Beer.
Re: 74 mpg!
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 03:41:18 pm »
Very impressive! 

Reply #16May 14, 2010, 07:38:20 pm

ScottyTD

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 07:38:20 pm »
Congrats Dad!!!!   Hhahaha bet you didnt know I had a user name on here did ya???   I didnt either till I clicked on your link and I was signed in hahaha.     The car looks awesome!!!   and WOW I cant believe 74 mpgs!!!!!   Maybe I can take it for a little cruise on memorial day???  I hope some one posts a link to that vid I really want to see that

Reply #17May 15, 2010, 01:34:31 am

moTthediesel

• Junior

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 01:34:31 am »
Congrats Dad!!!!   Hhahaha bet you didnt know I had a user name on here did ya???   I didnt either till I clicked on your link and I was signed in hahaha.     The car looks awesome!!!   and WOW I cant believe 74 mpgs!!!!!   Maybe I can take it for a little cruise on memorial day???  I hope some one posts a link to that vid I really want to see that

Thanks Scoot --

Yeah, maybe I'll toss ya the keys for a bit, if you play your cards right  ;)
'82 LandCruiser Diesel Conversion
4Cylinder 3B/KKKturbo/AudiIntercooler(gone, BNF)
'92 Dodge/Cummins D350 Getrag Dually
356 w/Quantum 1.6TD (73 mpg!)
'85 BMW 524td (Der Komisar) 
'00 Jetta TDI 5spd

Reply #18May 15, 2010, 02:34:44 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 02:34:44 pm »
i just want to point out that the 74mpg is not realistic to normal driving because of it just being one drive for an hour not 2 weeks worth of everyday driving sitting in traffic (not that i'm saying there wasn't any).  but i once took my rabbit auto diesel and did the same thing, i filled up then drove for an hour and filled up again at the same pump, and i think i got like 60-65 mpg.  not that what you have done is nothing, because i am certainly a fan of anything with a vw diesel in it, especially a 356.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #19May 16, 2010, 06:01:20 am

VW Smokr

• Junior

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 06:01:20 am »
Great conversion and truly impressive results! Yeah... more pics, please.

J.R.
SoCal

Reply #20May 16, 2010, 10:03:16 am

moTthediesel

• Junior

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2010, 10:03:16 am »
i just want to point out that the 74mpg is not realistic to normal driving because of it just being one drive for an hour not 2 weeks worth of everyday driving sitting in traffic (not that i'm saying there wasn't any).  but i once took my rabbit auto diesel and did the same thing, i filled up then drove for an hour and filled up again at the same pump, and i think i got like 60-65 mpg.  not that what you have done is nothing, because i am certainly a fan of anything with a vw diesel in it, especially a 356.

Oh yeah, this number does not represent a realistic every-day driving number. This is a competition, and everybody was driving in extreme conservation mode, that is using "driving with load", and "pulse and glide" techniques. In "dwl" you try to accelerate slowly and conserve momentum at all times, you allow speed to fall on upgades and coast the downgrades. That's the  plan I use, along with watching my EGT as an indication of how much work the engine doing. In "pulse and glide", the driver continually accelerates slowly from a chosen minimum speed (say 45mph) to a chosen maximum (say 60), and then coasts back to minimum. Repeat ad nauseum --  ;)

Not the most fun type of driving maybe, but challenging and rewarding. The accuracy of the filling technique is another factor of course. This event uses the "first click fill" method -- that is you fill at a given pump at a given station, you run the course and return to the same pump. With the car in the same position, you fill again -- doing everything (nozzle position, amount of "squeeze", etc) the same, stopping again at the "first click" of the pump. I think that's not the most accurate way of doing this, especially with a relatively short course of only 80 miles. I'm working now on a funnel/float gauge that I hope will give more accurate and repeatable results, we'll see --   
'00 Jetta TDI 5spd

Reply #21May 17, 2010, 09:09:21 am

mr.woods

• Junior

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 09:09:21 am »
That is a very good number for the hills, and roads of the area. Congrats!

More pictures of the car would be nice, and maybe some of the landrover in your sig.?
1.9 AAZ backed by a toyota tranny and dual cases, going into a rock crawler

Reply #22May 17, 2010, 08:50:34 pm

fdnyguy

• Veteran

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 08:50:34 pm »

Oh yeah, this number does not represent a realistic every-day driving number. This is a competition, and everybody was driving in extreme conservation mode, that is using "driving with load", and "pulse and glide" techniques. In "dwl" you try to accelerate slowly and conserve momentum at all times, you allow speed to fall on upgades and coast the downgrades. That's the  plan I use, along with watching my EGT as an indication of how much work the engine doing. In "pulse and glide", the driver continually accelerates slowly from a chosen minimum speed (say 45mph) to a chosen maximum (say 60), and then coasts back to minimum. Repeat ad nauseum --  ;)

Not the most fun type of driving maybe, but challenging and rewarding. The accuracy of the filling technique is another factor of course. This event uses the "first click fill" method -- that is you fill at a given pump at a given station, you run the course and return to the same pump. With the car in the same position, you fill again -- doing everything (nozzle position, amount of "squeeze", etc) the same, stopping again at the "first click" of the pump. I think that's not the most accurate way of doing this, especially with a relatively short course of only 80 miles. I'm working now on a funnel/float gauge that I hope will give more accurate and repeatable results, we'll see --   

I was not aware of certain tactics on achieving such high mileage. All I did was the speed limit (at most 62 mph), coasted when I could and was very easy on acceleration. Unlike your trip, I was stuck in rush hour traffic quite a few times. Not using the 'one click' method, for I prefer filling up my tank to the lip of the filler neck (which can take a bit of time), I averaged my 89 1.6 NA at 55.9 mpg. I also got a lot of the famous NY 'one fingered waves' and I was in the right lane. :)

My best tank was 715 miles on 14.5 gallons, which came out to 49.3 mpg.

74 mpg is awesome. Again, congratulations.

Stay safe, stay well. Jimmy.
Never forget what a "Religion of Peace" did on 9/11/01.

2015 Passat TDi. 27k
1998 Jetta 1.9TTDi 228k .
2002 F250 7.3 TD   63,000 miles. Sold.
1980 Mack CF Fire Engine. Working on it.
2007 Dodge MegaCab 5.9 Cummins. Nice, but plagued with issues

Reply #23May 17, 2010, 11:04:48 pm

moTthediesel

• Junior

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 11:04:48 pm »
For those interested in modifying and driving for maximum mileage, here's a website with all kinds of great info -- http://ecomodder.com/

Since a few people have asked, here's a couple other pictures of our car, it's engine, and components --

Rolling it out of my barn after 20 years on jack stands --

Ready to go --

Prime mover -

VNT15 and exhaust -

We no longer run with a muffler  ;D

Mini-keg airbox by Heineken -- and cone filter -

Mechanical VNT controller   -

Controller mounted on long-runner manifold -

'00 Jetta TDI 5spd

Reply #24May 18, 2010, 01:15:42 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 01:15:42 am »
Great project.
 thanks for the engine pics,.. the engine doesn't have much lean to it.
Is there a kit for matching our engine up to that trany?

I remembered this when I saw your VNT controller.
 It inspired parts of mine.

Can't remember if your vanes are closed at idle,..encoraging the turbo whine?
My VNT15 is loud at idle, when the vanes are open and gasses go around the impeller.
Pretty loud without a muffler?
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #25May 18, 2010, 01:36:25 am

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2010, 01:36:25 am »
Proof that holding onto 'junk' for 20 years can pay off ;D

I read somewhere BMW did a bunch of testing, and concluded burn and coast was most efficient.
Faced with an overheating problem, I reasoned  more efficient operation generates less heat, so might help.
the vehicle a 1977 Mercedes o309D converted to Chevrolet 350, but with no mods to the cooling system, and not much place for air to go after the radiator.

^like this...
It ran very good down here by the ocean, and got about 9MPG.  Air assist brakes, and Alison 540 auto made music, but Reno in the day was a bit much for it.
I'd nail it on any downhill(more MPH for less effort), then maintain just enough throttle to crest the next hill(let the radiator blow out the heat I'd just put in).
Not only did I stay cool, I ran 150 miles at 15 MPG!

Reply #26May 18, 2010, 07:30:28 am

moTthediesel

• Junior

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2010, 07:30:28 am »
Great project.
 thanks for the engine pics,.. the engine doesn't have much lean to it.
Is there a kit for matching our engine up to that trany?

Actually, though it's hard to tell from the picture, it has the standard 15 deg mount angle. I used a Kennedy adapter (http://www.kennedyeng.com/) to mount the engine to the tranny. Putting the engine in the car was not hard at all, the challenge is getting all the accessories and equipment in there.  You think a Golf engine compartment is small? Ha!  ;D

I remembered this when I saw your VNT controller.
 It inspired parts of mine.

Can't remember if your vanes are closed at idle,..encoraging the turbo whine?
My VNT15 is loud at idle, when the vanes are open and gasses go around the impeller.
Pretty loud without a muffler?

Yes, the vanes are open at idle, so you basically "drive the vanes" with the accelerator pedal -- and for sure, it whistles like a Pratt & Whitney at low speeds  8)  It's not terribly loud though, and all the sound is behind you - just go faster and you can leave it behind!
'00 Jetta TDI 5spd

Reply #27May 18, 2010, 09:48:50 am

moTthediesel

• Junior

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 09:48:50 am »

I was not aware of certain tactics on achieving such high mileage. All I did was the speed limit (at most 62 mph), coasted when I could and was very easy on acceleration. Unlike your trip, I was stuck in rush hour traffic quite a few times. Not using the 'one click' method, for I prefer filling up my tank to the lip of the filler neck (which can take a bit of time),

That can work well in some cars, but some are prone to getting air pockets in the tank which can throw your results off.

I averaged my 89 1.6 NA at 55.9 mpg. I also got a lot of the famous NY 'one fingered waves' and I was in the right lane. :)

That can be a problem! Most of the roads on this course had wide breakdown lane type shoulders though, so we just pulled over and let the other traffic pass.

74 mpg is awesome. Again, congratulations.

Stay safe, stay well. Jimmy.

Just a tick under 50mpg with a stock IDI DubDiesel is nothing to sneeze at either -- good on ya!
'00 Jetta TDI 5spd

Reply #28May 19, 2010, 03:37:26 pm

vegged-out

• User+

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2010, 03:37:26 pm »
Wow! that's impressive.
That block looks a lot fancier than when I dropped off to you at Clayton last year.
Michiel

Reply #29May 19, 2010, 07:31:03 pm

moTthediesel

• Junior

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2010, 07:31:03 pm »
Thanks Michiel!

Your engine worked out very nice for me, it was already 2nd over bored, but the cross hatching looked fresh, so I just re-ringed it and built it up. The crank was perfect and even the IM shaft bearings checked out OK, so it was good to go.

I've told a bunch of people about your sweet diesel Doka, that is some great ride! That night I met you to get the block, my wife was all excited when she got home from work in Watertown. She told my son and I that she saw "the coolest car southbound on I-81 just now, it was like a VW bus, but with a pickup back!"

Sound like anyone you know?  ;)

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 09:18:54 pm by moTthediesel »
'00 Jetta TDI 5spd

S-PAutomotive.com