S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 1.6d and 1.6td Difference???  (Read 3575 times)

November 22, 2009, 11:31:07 pm

sicarbnrex

1.6d and 1.6td Difference???
« on: November 22, 2009, 11:31:07 pm »
Im apologizing in advance for any stupid questions however I am not familiar with these motors.  I have a 87 Suzuki Samurai and rocky-road.com makes a kit to swap a 1.6td or 1.9td for more power.  My question is this.. I have a 1.6d readily available. However after short research I noticed the power gain wouldnt be much of anything, now the 1.6td is well worth the effort.. Is there a substantial difference between a 1.6d and 1.6td? Im gonna guess injection pump, maybe head, (the obvioius like turbo and exhaust manifold).. However Im curious to know if I could make this motor work with buying the items I would need to make it a 1.6td.  Are the blocks different between the two? I'm just looking for any input on this subject.  Thank you in advance!!

Reply #1November 23, 2009, 12:57:59 am

8v-of-fury

Re: 1.6d and 1.6td Difference???
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 12:57:59 am »
How do i keep this short, yet effective? lool

OK! so you have a 1.6 non turbo available. You can make this a turbo engine. you could buy a turbo, turbo injection pump, injectors, manifolds, oil lines and so on. and the only difference will be that your block won't be able to sustain the 1350F the td block will be able to because of the lack of oil squirters in the block. You will still be able to push it to 1200F no problem.

There have been many successful people who have taken a non turbo engine and made it perform just the same as an already turbo engine.

You can use the injectors and pump in the 1.6 non turbo but you won't have efficient fueling, as the turbo pump increases fuel per boost. with the non turbo pump it will be a set amount of fuel all the time, and it will run really well when you spool the turbo and make boost.

There are many paths you can go from here. Good luck with it

Reply #2November 23, 2009, 08:08:52 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 08:08:52 am »
There is a guy on here I think it was hiho or something like that that put oil squirters in a N/A block and made it turbo. Really that is the biggest difference. At stock boost levels you could just bolt on the turbo stuff on the N/A and calll it good. Search the FAQ for making your 1.6n/a a faster car  and   make your 1.6TD a faster car for the differences in mods done to make them go fast.

In the N/A with a huge exhaust, bigger intake tubing/ram air type thing, and shimming the main spring in the governor in the IP you should be able to make close to stock TD power If not more.

Reply #3November 23, 2009, 09:08:42 am

sicarbnrex

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 09:08:42 am »
ok thanks for the info.. The next question is how much can I pick up a complete 1.6td for and where is a good place to shop for them?? I just wanna compare costs to see if this is really worth while!

Reply #4November 23, 2009, 11:16:12 am

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 11:16:12 am »
ive got a 1.5 in my car. they are not good boost engines at all. i have 20 psi intercooled boost all the time. it lives great. i cracked a block once before, but that was with WAY too much boost. you should be able to get away building a turbo motor out of a n/a.. ive been beating the piss out of mine since the day i built it and it hasnt missed a beat. if you can get the n/a motor and all the pieces to convert it to turbo, it would be worth the time if you ask me. a vnt turbo would be nice, keeps the EGTs really low.

Fixmyvw.com