S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: turbo head vs. non turbo head  (Read 9734 times)

Reply #15August 03, 2009, 01:02:36 am

VWSmokr

• User+

Re: turbo head vs. non turbo head
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 01:02:36 am »
re. aftermarket replacements: Topline has stated that all the current aftermarket heads (that they deal with) are of the proper alloy for turbo or n.a. use, though that wasn't always true.

OTOH I've no clue how/if that relates at all to the cheap stuff from the lowest Chinese bidder. AFAIK Topline doesn't go with those sources. I won't knowingly purchase or use one either.

J.R.
SoCal

J.R.
SoCal

Reply #16August 03, 2009, 04:23:47 pm

Dean Erickson

• Junior

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 04:23:47 pm »
I have 3,000 miles on my turbo engine with the 1.5 pre cups. I used loc tite to help hold them in. Jack form wvdieselparts told me to use loc tite. The red stuff.

Reply #17August 04, 2009, 09:57:24 pm

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 09:57:24 pm »
Isn't the biggest difference just in the exhaust valves themselves or is there really even a difference in them also.  If black smoke means high EGT's then I wonder why the N/A's don't have the supposedly stronger valves instead.  Like I said though I don't know if there is actualy a difference in them.

Reply #18August 05, 2009, 10:45:02 am

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 10:45:02 am »
Isn't the biggest difference just in the exhaust valves themselves or is there really even a difference in them also.  If black smoke means high EGT's then I wonder why the N/A's don't have the supposedly stronger valves instead.  Like I said though I don't know if there is actualy a difference in them.

my grandpa has dropped plenty of exhaust valves on n/a engines. he is on his fifth engine in his caddy just because it keeps eating valve heads. and i know i read somewhere that the turbo heads have sodium filled exhaust valves.

Reply #19August 06, 2009, 01:37:33 pm

arb

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 01:37:33 pm »

my grandpa has dropped plenty of exhaust valves on n/a engines. he is on his fifth engine in his caddy just because it keeps eating valve heads. and i know i read somewhere that the turbo heads have sodium filled exhaust valves.

I doubt VW used sodium valves on consumer vehicles. They are expensive and very hazardous if the shade tree mechanic decided to cut one open, especially if he tries to put the resulting fire out with water. When I was at Federal Mogul, we had lots of restrictions on who could buy them.

Reply #20August 06, 2009, 02:40:45 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 02:40:45 pm »
I doubt VW used sodium valves on consumer vehicles. They are expensive and very hazardous if the shade tree mechanic decided to cut one open, especially if he tries to put the resulting fire out with water. When I was at Federal Mogul, we had lots of restrictions on who could buy them.

Vw used sodium valves in some air cooled engines and the TD's, cutting then opened isn't a hazard, you just throw it in a bucket of water and it neutralizes the sodium.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #21August 06, 2009, 03:25:15 pm

arb

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 03:25:15 pm »

Vw used sodium valves in some air cooled engines and the TD's, cutting then opened isn't a hazard, you just throw it in a bucket of water and it neutralizes the sodium.

I learned something new on VW. Good to hear they are not shy. :-D

Sodium burns underwater and is likely to spontaneously ignite when you cut it open in air unless it is VERY dry air... Look further down at this scientist catching his kitchen on fire with a sodium filled valve. http://www.periodictable.com/Elements/011/index.html

Reply #22August 06, 2009, 07:07:50 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2009, 07:07:50 pm »

Sodium burns underwater and is likely to spontaneously ignite when you cut it open in air unless it is VERY dry air... Look further down at this scientist catching his kitchen on fire with a sodium filled valve. http://www.periodictable.com/Elements/011/index.html

Well Alaska air is pretty dry I guess. I used a die grinder to cut mine, plenty of sparks there.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.

Reply #23August 06, 2009, 09:02:56 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2009, 09:02:56 pm »
Here's the measurements of one of my prechambers: barrel: 1.075" flange: 1.260
Head number is 068 103 373 F, it came off my JK code engine and I have no idea if it's the original head.

Reply #24August 07, 2009, 11:02:16 pm

arb

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2009, 11:02:16 pm »

Well Alaska air is pretty dry I guess. I used a die grinder to cut mine, plenty of sparks there.

Your air has got to be better than Arizona air :-) If I had a breathing problem, I'd go to Homer before Phenix. A friend of mine who is a top Neuro-radiologist tells me Homer is his most favorite place in the world. I need to visit some day.

S-PAutomotive.com