S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Vnt-15 installation, slowly but surely.....almost  (Read 26534 times)

April 24, 2009, 08:40:59 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

Vnt-15 installation, slowly but surely.....almost
« on: April 24, 2009, 08:40:59 pm »
Ok, I'm looking at putting my vnt on and I have some Qs for the experts to answer :P .

1:     I have a CIS intake mani I want to use but it hits the egr(?) port on the exhaust mani. So to make it fit I need to wack off about .5 inches of the port, then should I weld the hole shut? I can weld normal steel but I've never done cast.

2:     What do people do for the turbo drain line? Can you weld or braze on the oil pan w/o warping it, and is the oil low enough in the pan for the drain to be above the oil level? And what diameter of drain?

3:     For the oil feed line can I use a 3/16 brake line or do I have to buy the feed one made for this?

More questions to come, I'm still at the "collecting parts" stage so it'll be a little while before I do the actual install, plus this is my daily driver so I don't want much down time. Thanks everybody! :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 08:03:05 pm by rabbitman »

'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #1April 24, 2009, 11:42:37 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

Vnt-15 installation, slowly but surely
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 11:42:37 pm »
Another question, I have the kind of turbo where the whole turbo can unbolt from the mani. Has anyone ever put this style on a rabbit? I was doing some measuring and I see that the DP is gonna be awful close if not touching the shift linkage. Does the pipe need to be welded to the flange at 90 degrees or can it be welded sloping down at say 25 degrees off the turbo? Hope this makes sense......
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.

Reply #2April 25, 2009, 07:10:22 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 07:10:22 pm »
it has to have a bend slightly more than 90* to clear the flanges (if you got big ones) and the shift linkages. when my downpipe comes loose, i know it pretty quick. shifter starts vibrating and the flange rubs on the downpipe when decelerating. but... i did a pretty good job getting everything to fit, considering i built the pipe completely off the car. no test fits, no mesurements, no nothing. and all i had to do was grind a little off the port, then grind a little off the bottom of the intake. worked like a dream. i dont have much clearance between the two, but they dont hit or leak.

Reply #3April 28, 2009, 09:01:52 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 09:01:52 pm »
Here's some pics of the ill fitting intake mani:

In the pictures I've got the mani parallel with the head, you can see how much of the ports are showing. It looks to me like it needs to move down about a half inch, which would require grinding on the exhaust manifold.

As you can see this is a different exhaust manifold and turbo than any others I've seen like in this picture I found of hamradio's.

It's hard to see the difference in the pics but in the first one you can see were the interference is, grinding the intake right there isn't an option since it's the runner.
I really want to use the gasser intake but if I can't this'll work.

Also would any of you guys bother porting either of these?

Thanks

Reply #4April 28, 2009, 10:00:28 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 10:00:28 pm »
Just to clarify,

To weld cast I just need to preheat the manifold to something like 300F, and use DC w/ 7018 rod and then let it cool, the slower the better?

Reply #5April 28, 2009, 11:35:14 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 11:35:14 pm »
ive never seen a vnt 15 like that before. mine is just like the one on hamradios car. and WTF kinda intake is that? from a G60? or an old mk1? the digi 1 and 2 intakes are pretty easy to make fit from what my experience was. but i dont have a goofy turbo mani like yours. my turbo mounts low and close to the engine. im not even sure you can make anything work with that ex mani unless you hack the EGR port off and weld it closed.

Reply #6April 29, 2009, 12:16:12 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 12:16:12 am »
ive never seen a vnt 15 like that before. mine is just like the one on hamradios car. and what kinda intake is that? from a G60? or an old mk1? the digi 1 and 2 intakes are pretty easy to make fit from what my experience was. but i dont have a goofy turbo mani like yours. my turbo mounts low and close to the engine. im not even sure you can make anything work with that ex mani unless you hack the EGR port off and weld it closed.

I've heard this turbo is what they have over the pond.
The intake is off a '79 1.6L cis rabbit gasser, the other one is a TD one duh. :roll:

Yeah, I'll wack the EGR port and weld it shut and if that doesn't give me enough clearance I'll resort to using the stupid TD intake.

Thanks for the input. :D

Reply #7April 29, 2009, 07:41:19 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 07:41:19 pm »
Well I ground it off, so now the gasser mani will work. I just need to block off all the vacuum ports and make an adapter for the intake piping.

Reply #8May 01, 2009, 09:11:41 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 09:11:41 pm »
Trying to fab a turbo oil feed line.

I found that 1/8inch brass pipe fittings screw into the oil filter flange and turbo, I believe they're supposed to be m10x1.0 so the threads are a bit different but I wonder if it'll work anyways?
I was thinking I could use some brass compression fittings and a piece of 3/16 brake line. Think it would hold?

Reply #9May 01, 2009, 10:07:27 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 10:07:27 pm »
How about just re-bending a stock line and keeping the stock fittings?

I was under the impression that the stock one had different connections. I read somewere on here that were the line hooks to the oil filter flange was M12x1.5, mine is M10x1.0. And I though the T3 has a flange were it goes into the pump? I could be wrong obviously.

Reply #10May 01, 2009, 10:26:54 pm

hamradio

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 10:26:54 pm »
You, sir, are lucky.  Your VNT can be separated from the manifold.

Reply #11May 01, 2009, 11:28:37 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 11:28:37 pm »
The stock 1.6TD line will obviously work with the stock 1.6TD filter flange. The stock 1.6TD line will also perfectly fit the VNT oil fitting, assuming you have it. From the one picture which shows the supply, you have a red plug in the hole into which the fitting should thread. If you DO have the little fitting, then the only remaining question would be whether or not the stock steel line is long enough to reach.

I'm not sure what fitting your talking about, I though the line went directly into the turbo, didn't know it needed another fitting.

You, sir, are lucky. Your VNT can be separated from the manifold.

Didn't know I had such a treasure :P

Reply #12May 02, 2009, 12:50:31 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 12:50:31 pm »
when i made my oil line, i used the front half of the 1.6 line, and i used the oil line off the tdi for the rear half. took and slipped them in a piece of brake line and hot bolted them together. the stock oil line didnt even come close for me..

Reply #13May 02, 2009, 01:56:10 pm

hamradio

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 01:56:10 pm »
I bought a ready made 4an or so hose from ebay, and then bought 2 m10x1.5 to 4an adapters for my VNT.

Reply #14May 30, 2009, 12:34:02 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

Re: Vnt-15 installation, slowly but surely
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 12:34:02 am »
Ok, I buggered my new IM shaft bearing up trying to install it so I took the opportunity to install my turbo since it'll be sitting 'till the new bearings come.

The gasser manifold:

Check out this weld 8):

The downpipe with the flange next to it, needs lots of work.:

Still needs more work. I don't really like the angle that this leaves the turbo:

The flexpipe:

These convert 1/8pipe to 5/16 brake line for the oil feed:

Making sure it fits:

So what do you think? I'm stoked, I can hardly wait to be able to get a 0-60 time ::)