Author Topic: my 86 pirelli 4 door gas to diesel build  (Read 28296 times)

April 15, 2009, 02:11:59 am

lovinthedeez

• Veteran

my 86 pirelli 4 door gas to diesel build
« on: April 15, 2009, 02:11:59 am »
long story short  
1.6 n/a from 81 rabbit that i rescued
86 jetta gli. if you know the car, then......
i need a four door for my fast growing kid, so this is my build for him. seems pretty straight forward.  i guess this is this official kickoff because i started building the glow plug harness, and the motor will be out of the rabbit and sitting in the jetta running by the weekend., hopefully.  anyhow....Started soldering up the glow plug harness per vinces pimperglowplugs tonite to the tune of less than fifty dollars including heat shrink and plastic loom.  home cheapot had the 4 guage wire for 89 cents a foot, and loom and shrink wrap for dirt cheap.  solenoid was 13 dollars.  a couple of pics of the donor and the jetta
86 pirelli 4door gli

finishing up her new shoes

the poor rabbit giving up its little heart, and a few other things....

pulling the motor on the rabbit on thursday; jetta is ready to receive.., who knows .....pics and more to come

Reply #1April 15, 2009, 06:07:41 am

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 06:07:41 am »
Bth those cars look pretty solid to me, must be nice to have clean old iron to work with!

Reply #2April 15, 2009, 01:02:41 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 01:02:41 pm »
whatcha doin with the little donor rabbit? wanna get rid of it? i live in oregon on the coast.. i got a blue one basically the same as that one.

Reply #3April 15, 2009, 01:08:37 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 01:08:37 pm »
because he wants to give that rabbit to me.. thats why. lol, i can only hope.

Reply #4April 15, 2009, 07:01:30 pm

lovinthedeez

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 07:01:30 pm »
i don't really want to ditch the rabbit, but it has come to that.  i bought the jetta on a whim from some shady thought they were mechanics.  I needed a four door bad, and that came up.  it ran like a top when i picked it up, but the head grenaded on me 100 miles down I-5.  after looking into it, the bottom end was shot, I found NUMEROUS things wrong/missing with their work.  the car is really nice though on the inside, the rabbit sat for four years before I rescued it as a moldy mess, and my lady hates it.  i have a nine month old gigantosaur boy who is too big to go in and out of a two door rabbit.  shell has interest in it, so it won't be getting crushed.  it is getting parted a little though before i'm done with it.  thanks for looking at my project, tomorrow the motor switches homes.  yahhhhh[/quote]

Reply #5April 16, 2009, 10:24:14 am

lovinthedeez

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 10:24:14 am »
so i'm just waiting around for my friend to wake up so i can pull the motor out of the rabbit as his house, so i took a couple of pics

THANK YOU VINCE FOR PIMPING MY GLOW PLUGS!!!!
i know its been done for awhile, but this is MY glow plug harness; and i was kinda blown away at the low cost of doing this

my fuse box, wired up with 4 guage, sealed with liquid tape, $8.50

my napa garden tractor solenoid 13 bucks

10 guage glow plug wires with soldered and heat  shrunk modded lugs

Since Vince is the man, and likes using this stuff; for 3 bucks, why not

I found 4 guage wire at home depot for 89 cents a foot
the whole harness costs less than 30 dollars......amazing
thanks vince, and more to come tonite....big day today
one more pic....the whole reason i'm doing this....its for him

Reply #6April 16, 2009, 10:40:50 am

katakura silk

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 10:40:50 am »
Good work!
Post photos of the swap if you can... :)
1979 Diesel Rabbit L - 60k :)
1982 Diesel Caddy (RIP) now 1.8L Gasser
1998 Passat Wagon

Reply #7April 16, 2009, 11:31:57 am

arb

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 11:31:57 am »
Leather seats ? WOW ! I've never seen them in a Jetta from those days. Sweat !

Reply #8April 17, 2009, 08:48:06 am

lovinthedeez

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 08:48:06 am »
yeah, you'll see a set pop up in the classified every now and then for crazy amounts of money, right up there with trophy.  the seats are soooo comfy.  But on with the work, It was one of those days that whatever you did took twice as long.  But this is how the day went.  did it all by myself, with the exception of having help getting the motor loose.
here we go.  sorry old friend, but I need that kidney you got there

clean AND solid

liquid tension ease

its like a rat with no where to go...

my jacks just didn't cut it to get REALLY high

so across the street to the tweakers house I go.  they have a super sweet racing jack, took me two minutes to finish, and VOILA, the only thing that really went wrong is I bent the lip on the tensioner against the motor mount bracket trying to get it out.  no biggy, replacing the belt and tensioner anyhow.  

the black hole

big thanks to my buddy charles who let me use his garage to perform this swap.  if your ever in ashland oregon, stop in to the creekside pizza bistro and get a drink.  he's a bartender there and the food is great

hopefully we'll get the motor out of the jetta today, and maybe have the diesel bolted in at least.  might have to wait until next week.  

[/quote]

Reply #9April 19, 2009, 08:03:10 pm

lovinthedeez

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 08:03:10 pm »
so i've been busy with work and being able to get to work on this.  I've had to tow the rabbit from where the works being done, and now tow the jetta there to finish the swap.  I gathered some goodies in the meantime.  I got a new timing belt and tensioner, and i'm gonna go back and get a new front seal, because that was where my oil leak was occurring.  but i'm almost finished prepping the jetta to take the motor out.  I also ordered a new acclerator cable, because its different from the gasser one, and a new cold start cable.  i bet the old ones would have worked off of the rabbit, but i'm trying to make it look not hacked.  put on the wheels from the rabbit for now.  soon as i can get this thing towed.....the fun really begins.  one question at the moment occupies my thoughts, anyone know the inner diameter size of the fuel line at the sending unit.  waiting for mine to come in.....need to get viton.  

Reply #10April 19, 2009, 09:11:02 pm

catlin_cava

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 09:11:02 pm »
I want those nice low pros that was on the jetta :lol:
Catlin

2012 VW Golf 2.5 5speed Deep Black Pearl
1999.5 VW Jetta TDI Bosch .216mm injectors and Malone stage 2, soon 11mm pump and vnt 22(parked for the winter)
2010 VW Golf City 2.0L "Hers"

Reply #11April 21, 2009, 03:08:41 am

lovinthedeez

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 03:08:41 am »
Quote from: "catlin_cava"
I want those nice low pros that was on the jetta :lol:

why, you got a honda  :lol: .ewuhhhhhh

i gave them away to put her og shoes back on.  i made some honda kid's day.  

but anyhow, I pulled the gasser out of the jetta tonite in 2 hours after working all day.  forgot the camera, but it wasn't very eventful.  first motor removal on a mk2....if only the rabbit had a removable core.  hope to have this up and running by the end of the week.  I'll make sure to get lots of pics.  A couple of issues I've run into so far are minor.  the first is the cold start cable.  I broke the old one, and can't find an mk2 pull switch yet.  not  biggy, i can make it work.  the power steering.  still waiting on this loop kit deal that will kinda make it a lot easier to steer at low speeds.  gonna use the accelerator cable from the rabbit, it looks like it'll work.  the ends are different from the gas cable.  now I gotta give the diesel a little freshen up with a new front seal, timing belt and tensioner.

Reply #12April 21, 2009, 05:39:43 pm

lovinthedeez

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 05:39:43 pm »
where i left off on the jetta.  still gotta remove some random cis wires and such.

still gotta take out the gasser fuel pumps, and sending unit, which came today.  yahhhh
still to do:
install front seal, timing belt on the 1.6
get viton and run my own lines from the tank to the filter and pump to the tank
knock out the diesel nozzle restrictor
figure out which radiator setup to use (mk1 or mk2)

its getting close..  gonna split the motors from the trannies and let the diesel meet the ACN

Reply #13April 21, 2009, 05:49:27 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 05:49:27 pm »
You're gonna use the exhaust manifold from the Jetta correct?

Reply #14April 21, 2009, 07:38:52 pm

lovinthedeez

• Veteran

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 07:38:52 pm »
Quote from: "maxfax"
You're gonna use the exhaust manifold from the Jetta correct?

yup, but I don't know how the rest of the exhaust will line up though.  In the end I hope to just run a straight pipe to a cherry bomb.  but thats later.  lets get this thing running

S-PAutomotive.com