Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Head Gasket  (Read 18136 times)

Reply #60April 23, 2009, 06:36:30 pm

Luckypabst

• Veteran

Head Gasket
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2009, 06:36:30 pm »
The step-up on the top bolt indicates that that bolt was manufactured by cutting the threads with some sort of cutting tool.

The other two with the reduced section have been manufactured by "rolling" the threads. It's an extrusion process rather than cutting and results in greater thread strength.

Burly isn't always good. Apple to apples, the rolled threads will out perform the cut threads.

Chris
'82 TD Westy
'81 NA Caddy

Reply #61April 23, 2009, 09:39:36 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

Head Gasket
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2009, 09:39:36 pm »
Ahhh that makes sense...  Thanks for the info Lucky....

79rabbit4dr If I had my new engine ready I'd sell you the set of studs out of my old one dirty cheap....   Probably gonna be several weeks till that happens though..  Hoping the new pistons will get here tomorrow so I can get it bored next week...   I need to decide whether I'm gonna recycle the crankshaft out of the one I'm running or get the one turned out of the engine I'm rebuilding...  I don;t have time or money so I'm still on the fence..

Reply #62April 23, 2009, 10:41:45 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Head Gasket
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2009, 10:41:45 pm »
Quote from: "79rabbit4dr"
Quote from: "theman53"
Please don't go to them LOL

I know you said you sell "nuts and bolts" but you also said you're "waiting on an answer..." about supplying head bolts. I assumed that meant you didn't sell head bolts but maybe you were just saying you don't carry SPS unbrako's just yet...? Do you have a website? How much for quality head bolts shipped to 83440? Sell any other vw parts or just fastener type stuff?

sorry I didn't see that earlier. I do sell SPS Unbrako, but since I am working nonstop to make money I haven't had much time to push our rep to get me some info. There is a ton of it on there site, but no part #s to say send me this stud. I have talked with them and emailed but no luck yet. If I don't get an answer soon I might have to go ARP for my engine, but I should be able to find something with 190,000psi like the ARP stuff. Heck the AKI guy that always posts on Turbo J's build makes his own...I also have a machine shop that will do custom fasteners, but doesn't really want to do just 10 for my engine.
If you are really interested in the SPS stuff, I can call for a "customer" and they usually get right on it, but if it is for me they blow me off still. Maybe I should buy 100 studs and just become a vendor :D

Reply #63April 24, 2009, 12:23:58 am

maxfax

• Veteran

Head Gasket
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2009, 12:23:58 am »
What I think would be interesting to find is a stud with 12mm threads to go into the block but tapers down to allow the use of an 11mm head..   I know they would have to be installed before the head, and to R&I the head on an MKI the manifolds woudl have to be removed..  

I have about 3 or 4 11mm heads that I feel are useable (or at least refurbishable)  but no more 11mm blocks... I'm not real crazy about drilling out the head...

Or is there somthing like this out there already?

Reply #64April 24, 2009, 12:30:23 am

79rabbit4dr

Head Gasket
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2009, 12:30:23 am »
Quote from: "maxfax"
79rabbit4dr If I had my new engine ready I'd sell you the set of studs out of my old one dirty cheap....

how 'bout I send you my used 11mm bolts and you can run those in place of the studs - which you'll promptly sell/ship to me on the cheapitty. If it's only a couple weeks, what's the big deal, right?  :idea:  :lol:

Reply #65April 24, 2009, 03:05:25 pm

79rabbit4dr

Head Gasket
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2009, 03:05:25 pm »
Called ARP (800) 826-3045 - Ron gave me some info:

the measurements on the ARP head stud Part # 204-4701 are M11x1.5 and 4.65 inches long.

So...

I stuck a thin rod down there and measured the depth with the head (& gasket) in place and got 4.25 inches. So if the studs are 4.65 that should give me at least 0.4 - 0.5 inches for the washer and nut assuming gasket squish and that fact that the stud won't thread in the block as far as the rod went - due to the shape of the hole.

now to find them at a good price  :cry:

EDIT:
Summit has them in stock $111.95, shipping out of Nevada (close to me) will get here by tuesday, SOLD!

Reply #66April 25, 2009, 12:07:08 am

maxfax

• Veteran

Head Gasket
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2009, 12:07:08 am »
[quote="79rabbit4dr]how 'bout I send you my used 11mm bolts and you can run those in place of the studs - which you'll promptly sell/ship to me on the cheapitty. If it's only a couple weeks, what's the big deal, right?  :idea:  :lol:[/quote]

LOL I ain't touchin anything on that car till the new engine is done.. I was hoping to have the other car together before the Rabbit takes a poo (of course I wasn;t intending on it taking a poo) So it's my only ride next to the golf cart.  I would have scavanged the crank out of it otherwise..

I think Summit is the reining cham on the best price for ARP head studs, pretty fast shipping too..  I think I got my one set from them, the other from billy bo bob on Ebay..  Took weeks for them to get here...