S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Injector re and re questions...  (Read 4843 times)

March 26, 2005, 10:41:21 pm

dieselweasel

• Veteran

Injector re and re questions...
« on: March 26, 2005, 10:41:21 pm »
First off, do I need a special socket?  The Bentley says that you need a 27 mm deep socket.  I noticed that Snap-On sells a special socket worth 50 something bucks for this job.  I'd like to just buy a regular $10, 27mm deep socket from Cdn Tire if possible.

Anyone ever come across an injector that was seized in the head or damaged the threads coming out?  The head is aluminum and injector is steel so that concerns me a bit.  

As for the heatshields, where is a good place to buy them?  Dealership?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks.

'94 Jetta TD dusty mauve-302,xxx kms

Reply #1March 27, 2005, 12:01:19 am

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

injectors
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 12:01:19 am »
I bought a cheap socket and hogged it out to clear the little return fittings on the injector. Works great.
I usually get heat shields from the dealer.
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #2March 27, 2005, 12:08:30 am

srivett

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 12:08:30 am »
I would get the thinnest walled deep socket I could find.  When I used an impact socket on my car and it caused some problems on both sides.  It hit the return lines and was a bit too big to fit between the injector and cylinder head.

Steve
1992 1.6D Golf - 412K km
Mint except for chipped paint, no rust :)

Reply #3March 27, 2005, 12:24:32 am

chrissev

• Veteran

Re: Injector re and re questions...
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 12:24:32 am »
Quote from: "dieselweasel"
First off, do I need a special socket?  The Bentley says that you need a 27 mm deep socket.  I noticed that Snap-On sells a special socket worth 50 something bucks for this job.  I'd like to just buy a regular $10, 27mm deep socket from Cdn Tire if possible.

Anyone ever come across an injector that was seized in the head or damaged the threads coming out?  The head is aluminum and injector is steel so that concerns me a bit.  

As for the heatshields, where is a good place to buy them?  Dealership?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks.

hmmm, I had a regular 27mm deep socket.   It didn't fit (hit the return line fittings) so I had to buy the $50 one from snap on which is curved on the inside so it fits over the return fittings.  Whatever socket you buy make sure it is really deep.  I should measure mine and tell you how deep next time I go out to my car (where my tools are, in the trunk).  

The injectors will often be seized due to carbon build up in the threads.  One thing you have to keep in mind (and I see you were thinking about it already) is that the head is indeed made of aluminum, which is a very soft metal, and the injector holes in the head are rather close to the edge of the head with only a small thin bit of metal at the front.  It is very possible (people do it all the time) to tear the aluminum head while using a breaker bar or some such device to remove a stuck injector.  So as much as possible you want to limit the brute force you use to take the injectors out if they do happen to be stuck or carboned in place, and instead use other methods like alternately tightening and loosening the injector to try to break it free, using penetrating oil, etc. to help free the stuck injector.  

The next major thing you want to remember is when you put the injectors back in, you need to only tighten them to a specific torque, that being 70Nm, 51 ft. lb.  Before you do this you need to clean the threads really well.  If you don't have a torque wrench forget about doing the job until you get one.  Correct torque is really important.  It's also a good idea to coat the injector threads with anti seize compound so that the injectors will be easy to take out the next time.
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Reply #4March 27, 2005, 01:14:37 am

jackbombay

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 01:14:37 am »
A craftsman 27 mm Deep socket worked fine for me, no modification necessary.

Reply #5March 27, 2005, 01:33:33 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
injector socket
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 01:33:33 am »
I think mine is a 1 1/16".
 Me thinks the 12 point sockets clear the return lines better than the 6 point ones.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #6March 27, 2005, 02:13:23 pm

dieselweasel

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 02:13:23 pm »
Thanks very much guys...I think I'll look for a Craftsman chrome 12 point.  

Thank you for the tips chrissev.  I do have a couple torque wrenches...in fact I own enough tools to make your head spin, but there's always just one more thing...

Reply #7March 27, 2005, 03:26:52 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 03:26:52 pm »
Thanks very much guys...I think I'll look for a Craftsman chrome 12 point.  

Thank you for the tips chrissev.  I do have a couple torque wrenches...in fact I own enough tools to make your head spin, but there's always just one more thing...

:twisted: I made a 'socket out of a piece of pipe which I hit round an inch-ish Nut. (25.4mm) I think its best to use /create some kind of 'T' bar to reduce adverse leverage on head. Penetrating oil pre-soak and then treat like cutting a thread if stiffness continues... :twisted:
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #8March 27, 2005, 06:52:13 pm

81rabbit

tips when putting injectors back in...
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 06:52:13 pm »
Another thing I’d add is when you go back to putting the injector in. Be very careful when putting that last bit of torque on it. In fact someone once told me (to late I might add) to make sure the torque wrench handle is running parallel with the car (have the end pointing either towards the front or even better the rear of the car).

The reason for this is if you had it pointed towards one of the sides of the car you could very easily put to much torque on the thin part of the head where the injector seat is and crack it. I did that and have to spend $40 to get a welder in town to fix mine...

I also got that 27mm from sears and it just bearly fits. It kind of brushed the return nipples on the injectors but it work okay..

Good luck..

-J

Reply #9March 28, 2005, 12:28:46 am

dieselweasel

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 12:28:46 am »
Thanks again for the info...that's something I definitely would not have known.  Poorly made if you ask me...I hate flimsy designs.

Reply #10March 28, 2005, 03:50:21 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 03:50:21 am »
Thanks again for the info...that's something I definitely would not have known.  Poorly made if you ask me...I hate flimsy designs.

:lol: Being a weasel you'll be OK...Now if you were a stoat... :lol:
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

Reply #11March 28, 2005, 03:55:18 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

Re: tips when putting injectors back in...
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2005, 03:55:18 am »
Quote from: "81rabbit"
Another thing I’d add is when you go back to putting the injector in. Be very careful when putting that last bit of torque on it. In fact someone once told me (to late I might add) to make sure the torque wrench handle is running parallel with the car (have the end pointing either towards the front or even better the rear of the car).

The reason for this is if you had it pointed towards one of the sides of the car you could very easily put to much torque on the thin part of the head where the injector seat is and crack it. I did that and have to spend $40 to get a welder in town to fix mine...

I also got that 27mm from sears and it just bearly fits. It kind of brushed the return nipples on the injectors but it work okay..

Good luck..

-J

I assume youre talkin' Rabbits here :lol:
I suppose youwant the force to go along the engine  rather than across it....
 :idea: I think a 'T' bar helps too :idea:
Mark-The-Miser-UK

Reply #12March 28, 2005, 08:45:34 am

veeman

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2005, 08:45:34 am »
>>I bought a cheap socket and hogged it out to clear the little return fittings on the injector.

I read that and modified my Home_Cheapo "Husky" deep socket (same size as the crank pulley on most I-5's BTW)  to fit around the top of the injector.  Five minutes with the die grinder and it works great!

Thanks for the tip.
81 Caddy TD
98 Audi A4 Quattro V6 TDI
83 VW GTI FSP
86 4ktq

Fixmyvw.com