Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: AHU mTDi vacuum / boost lines  (Read 4505 times)

November 16, 2008, 11:44:53 am

monkey magic

• Junior

AHU mTDi vacuum / boost lines
« on: November 16, 2008, 11:44:53 am »
Hi everybody, been lurking for a year, now it's time for my first post!

Quick intro, I'm in the UK, and am currently fixing up what you guys stateside call a Vanagon (it's a syncro too for those of you who like a bit of 4x4 action).

I blew up the 1.6TD lump the van came with, and am about to install an AHU TDi engine, but:

the engine came to me with all the lines and hoses cut, they just cut them all to get the engine out of the donor car quickly  :(  I see red, blue and black hoses all over, Also, i am near the start of a TDi learning curve...

So, bearing in mind I am fitting a mechanical injector pump (2nd thread coming soon! ), i would like to know what I should connect the wastegate vacuum (?) line to, and also the line coming off the inlet side of the turbo (presumably this represents boost pressure). Is the wastegate controlled internally, or does the boost need to affect/control the wastegate by any chance?

Any help is much appreciated,

Cheers, Monkey Phil  :D

mTDi syncro

Reply #1November 16, 2008, 01:31:59 pm

monkey magic

• Junior

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 01:31:59 pm »
Think I might have answered my own question by the power of google!

Would i be right in thinking i just need to run the boost line to the wastegate actuator, and the gate will start to open as it nears the boost limit 'set' in the actuator?
mTDi syncro

Reply #2November 16, 2008, 08:12:13 pm

vanagonturbo

• Veteran

• Fine Tuning
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 08:12:13 pm »
yes

Reply #3November 16, 2008, 09:59:37 pm

fairweather

• Junior

• TDI Syncro
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 09:59:37 pm »
You will also need to tee into that line and run it to your IP/boost gauge depending on your IP it may be different.

The line goes form the pressure side of the turbo to the waste gate then tees off to the line you see in the pic, the left side line is for the boost gauge.
83 Caddy with CY code 1.6TD out of a rabbit.

Reply #4November 17, 2008, 05:41:23 am

monkey magic

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 05:41:23 am »
I understand. So the boost line into the IP would be to increase fuelling under boost then.

Thanks people  :)
mTDi syncro

Fixmyvw.com