Engine Specific Info and Questions > mTDI Mechanical TDI Conversions

mTDI / TDI-M Injection Pump FAQ

<< < (32/40) > >>

SR Heer:
I have a Rover pump - is it a 200 or 300?
Here are the numbers on side - what all do they indicate?
I was told it has an 11mm fuel distributor head, does this make it a 200?
It does have a potentiometer on top of accelerator lever shaft.
Is there any way I can tell if this one was designed to run with EGR - so I can adj. expected static timing correctly?
Besides doing the governor mod would there be any other adjustments or mods needed for it to function well for street driving?

0 460 414 099
R 509-1
ERR 4046
011 662        156698

vanbcguy:
If it has the potentiometer on top it is an EGR pump. Yes, it has an 11mm head. I'm 99% sure that's a 300TDI pump, ERR4046 I believe is the Land Rover part number for the 300TDI pump.

rotaecho:
I've got a mTDI 12mm 4BT pump built for a Vanagon going in my Westy.

However, I'm curious what timing would be ideal for these 12mm 4BT pumps? I was told 1.05 which I believe will work, but all my research says this is for "performance pumps".

But what exactly makes one a "performance" pump?

Shooting for better mpg's than anything else. I have 764 nozzels and a K14 wastegate turbo on it.

Just a slight better clearity with how the timing range works with these mTDI 12mm 4BT pumps on an AHU setup.

Thanks!

libbydiesel:
1.05mm is the timing setting for an IDI 1.6TD injection pump.  That setting doesn't apply to other makes/models of pumps.  I would contact Karl and find out what timing setting he recommends for his pump.  There is no way for anyone else to know what internal parts were used and consequently what timing setting to recommend.  Your injector pop pressure will also affect the timing.  The best way to set the timing is with a pulse adapter and strobe.  I built quite a few mTDI pumps using 4BTA base pumps and the optimum timing ranged from 0.90 to 1.55mm.  It is likely I have more experience with those particular pumps than any other frequent poster on this forum and I feel it would be silly of me to guess at a recommendation.  Ask Karl. 

ORCoaster:
Libby,  I agree with you that the 1.05 mark is for the 1.6 IDI.  And that the term performance likely meant fast and not cleaner.  The 1.05 mark is about the middle of the range you have experience so I would venture a guess that he could start there and figure his MPG for a few tanks then bump it one way or the other and see what he gets.  That is what most of us tuning for best mileage do as a course of business. 

But I would still do as you recommend to go ask the man for a setting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version