Author Topic: overspeed  (Read 3574 times)

January 03, 2013, 10:41:11 am

nwcali6

• Junior

overspeed
« on: January 03, 2013, 10:41:11 am »
  I rebuilt a 1.6 (hydraulic head) and put it in a 59 Jeep.  Wanting a little more power I did the advance timing mod and Governor mod and now a 1.9 cam-plate.  When I had it apart I didn't understand the importance of the bolt that runs through the governor weights and didn't know to mark its location.

I did the Governor spring mod before all the rest (and did not take out that bolt during that procedure)...

I have my smoke screw where at first it puts out a little smoke (but quickly goes away) and the idle rpm seems to be right.

If I rev it up past a certain point it will keep going higher unless I slow it down with the clutch/gearing or I stop it with the switch (If I don't kill it the RPM's will come down and stay down.

It is also progressive.  Light increases in throttle (no load) and it comes back to idle fast.  As you increase the throttle it takes longer to come back to idle, and eventually it will run away..

I drilled out the front of the pump mount so I could adjust the bolt that holds the flywheights in and I have it close to where another pump I have sits (with no apparent improvement.

I don't see where the advance timing mod would do this.

Or the 1.9 camplate.

Only thing left is the spring mod, which was done before all the rest with no ill effects (and driving about a month).

Any thoughts?

And on a side note, I'd read your forums some time, just could never register.  This motivated me enough to figure it out...

Reply #1January 03, 2013, 11:06:01 am

8v-of-fury

Re: overspeed
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 11:06:01 am »
The advance did not cause this, the governor shaft relation did not cause this (but that needs to be in order or load fueling will be messed with), and the cam plate did not cause this.

This is a throttle related issue. What you need to do is read over the governor mod link in my signature, it will tell you where you have gone wrong as other people have had this problem.

Basically you're off on your throttle arm to throttle arm shaft orientation. You need to loosen, but not remove, that 10mm nut on top of the throttle arm. Pull up until it is off the throttle splines and then turn shaft Clock Wise to the throttle arm, probably just one spline will do it as you have an ok idle. Backing off on the max fuel screw usually helps too.

Reply #2January 03, 2013, 01:08:54 pm

nwcali6

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 01:08:54 pm »
The advance did not cause this, the governor shaft relation did not cause this (but that needs to be in order or load fueling will be messed with), and the cam plate did not cause this.

This is a throttle related issue. What you need to do is read over the governor mod link in my signature, it will tell you where you have gone wrong as other people have had this problem.

Basically you're off on your throttle arm to throttle arm shaft orientation. You need to loosen, but not remove, that 10mm nut on top of the throttle arm. Pull up until it is off the throttle splines and then turn shaft Clock Wise to the throttle arm, probably just one spline will do it as you have an ok idle. Backing off on the max fuel screw usually helps too.

thanks for the input.  It'll be a few days before I get to fix this but now I know where to finish.  I could see me getting off one spline in the dis assembly and missing it.  I just didn't know if any of the other things could affect it..  Namely the screw that holds in the flyweights. 

I'll report back what I found when I get around to messing with the arm/splines.

Reply #3January 03, 2013, 01:09:39 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 01:09:39 pm »
That screw should be roughly 15-15.5 turns in from the first grab of threads.