Author Topic: 84 NA (for now) Rabbit Wolfsburg Build Thread  (Read 2099 times)

January 25, 2012, 03:01:19 pm

DarkwingDork

• User+

• Mk1Ultra.com
84 NA (for now) Rabbit Wolfsburg Build Thread
« on: January 25, 2012, 03:01:19 pm »
I've waited nearly three years for this day: I finally get to start my own build thread!  ;D
My original 84 Rabbit L was mostly destroyed (front frame horns are bent) in an accident recently and I've lucked out in aquiring an almost completely rust-free 84 Wolfsburg with a carbed 1.7L. Can anyone say body swap? My goal is a car-show-ready Bunny with a built NA 1.6L. Why no turbo, you ask?
Two reasons:
1. To prove the point that you can make power with a Naturally Asthmatic IDI. I've not seen many try it, even fewer have numbers to prove that lacking a turbo doesn't necessarily mean you won't be able to get to 60MPH in less than two days. Forced induction will always win, but I know for darn sure close the gap between stock NA/Stock numbers :P

2. I probably won't be able to afford the turbo for awhile...unless any of you have spares you'd like to sell for a reasonable price.

If my butt dyno is satisfied with the power I'll be sure to take it to the real dyno and post results ;) 8)

The current build plan:

Body:

• Misc. body work/prep
  • Fresh coat of it's original color (Midnight Blue)
  • Swap in wiring harness/alarm from B1
  • Ditch the vent-wing windows in favor of B1's solids (with new seals to fit chrome trim from B2)
  • GTI Fender Flares (waiting in the shed)
  • Chin spoiler
  • Bumper overriders (I call them battering rams :D
  • Clear H4 Headlight buckets/HD relayed harness from B1
  • Quad 6' Hella 500FF driving lights

Engine:

• Full rebuild
  • Port/polish head
  • Fuel/timing tweaks
  • Governor Mod
  • High volume oil pump
  • Windage tray
  • Add fitting for turbo Oil drain
  • Install my 4-crawler tach driver (which arrived in the mail 4 hours before B1 got smashed >:()
  • Fab custom down pipe for my 2.25" Techtonics exhaust.
  • Engine bay/wiring cleanup.
  • Swap in my 5-speed/MissingLinkZ linkages

Interior:

• Factory tach swap
  • Boost, EGT, and oil temp Gauges (already have the others)
  • Mk2 Recaros
  • Rally Mirror
  • Factory center console/gauge pod thingy
  • Swap over ICE/other goodies from B1

Sorry, I know it's a long list and few are likely to care but it helps me keep track of the insanity ::)
I'll Update this as I go...all input/suggestions welcome. :)

The Damage:

Let the games begin!!!

It's only fitting that the donor body move it's wounded brother into the operating room ;)

Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 11:34:13 am by DarkwingDork »

1984 Rabbit Wolfsburg 1.6/5-speed
My Mk1 FAQ/DIY site:
http://mk1ultra.com
My build thread:
vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=30776.0

Reply #1January 27, 2012, 10:05:44 am

8v-of-fury

Re: 84 NA (for now) Rabbit Wolfsburg Build Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 10:05:44 am »
ooh, good luck :)

Reply #2January 27, 2012, 10:32:49 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 10:32:49 am »
Little bit of hammer little bit of body dough and paint.  We're good.  Drive on.

Reply #3January 27, 2012, 01:29:15 pm

morgoon

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 01:29:15 pm »
Looks like a solid foundation, waiting to see the progress :)

Reply #4January 27, 2012, 03:05:22 pm

DarkwingDork

• User+

• Mk1Ultra.com
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 03:05:22 pm »
Thank you all. ;D Progress should start soon...waiting to make insurance people of the moron who knocked my car into the wall are going to want to look at the car. I've already transferred a lot small stuff over. Full suspension re-work with Parts Place Inc. HD springs is going down next week. Once   I get cash flowing from parts off of B1 the engine build begins.

I'll have plenty of parts for sale...if anyone is interested, shoot me a pm. I really want to find a buyer for the shell. It has a lot of rust, and slightly tweaked frame horns (I'll post pictures when the engine is out). Rabbits are a non-renewable resource and B1 has been a great car...I can't let it go to the scrap yard...there has to be someone out there who will restore it. I'll let it go for next to nothing if somebody is willing to save her.

Today's project: remove the bloody York A/C compressor that made my life a living hell trying to change an alternator in the rain/freezing cold last night. The A/C still works, but I'll need the round compressor for the 1.6 and whoever designed the brackets for the York should be tarred, feathered, drawn, quartered, flogged, curb-stomped, shot in the stomach a few times, and left for dead in a pile of broken glass and used needles. *growls* It's a Mk1, it should be easy to fix nearly ANYTHING on the side of the road, at night, with only basic hand tools. Clearly someone didn't understand that concept. *rage*

Stay tuned  ;D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 03:13:46 pm by DarkwingDork »
1984 Rabbit Wolfsburg 1.6/5-speed
My Mk1 FAQ/DIY site:
http://mk1ultra.com
My build thread:
vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=30776.0

Fixmyvw.com