S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: AAZ engine, built from parts.  (Read 3261 times)

May 25, 2011, 12:47:22 am

mac.man25

• Junior

AAZ engine, built from parts.
« on: May 25, 2011, 12:47:22 am »
So I picked up an 83 Caddy the other week with a blown up 1.6 N/A and started getting crazy ideas of building the engine I've always wanted.  The AAZ engine.

Of course, since I'm in the US they're rarer then a pink elephant, but I somehow came across a recently rebuilt head for far too cheap, and now I'm in the process of building this engine.

I'm using a TDI block, I still need to buy pistons.  (Gotta inspect the block for which bore it has/ if it needs a rebore.)
I have a good AAZ head with brand new valves, valve springs, keepers.  Just needs a cam and the cam followers.  (A broken timing gear on that one.)
I got a VNT15 for boost, planning on running some sort of custom boost computer, that still has to be sorted.
I have an AAZ injection pump with boost enrichment, but the only injectors I have are the 1.6 NA ones, recently rebuilt though.

My plan for this motor is to start making power and do it cheaply.  At the moment I have just shy of $500 into this thing, and I'm hoping to get away with only spending a few hundred more, but I'm willing to spend more money if it means I'm doing it right, just not another $1000.    ::)

At the moment, I'm trying to aim for around 115 HP, which I think is totally doable with my mostly stock setup and this turbo.  Eventually I want to get to 150HP, but obviously with a bigger turbo, what other mods should I look at?

I don't have a cam, it was presumed destroyed with the valves, so what's the best cam for this engine?  I've read that the 1.6 TD cam is actually higher flowing then the AAZ cam, and is more desirable for high HP.  (In addition to being easier to find in the US.) Is that the case?  Which cam should I try and go for?  I've heard TDI ones would work, but I'm worried they'll put even more low end torque down then this motor already makes.  I'd like to rev it at least some!

I have 130 bar injectors at the moment (I'm assuming that's what they are, I havent' verified that yet.)  Is it possible to get injectors adjusted by a shop to be a higher pop pressure?  Is it alright to run single-stage injectors on an AAZ pump?

A few pictures:

'83 VW Pickup, Getting the AAZ.
86 BMW 325es.

Reply #1May 28, 2011, 06:36:14 am

macka

• Veteran

Re: AAZ engine, built from parts.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 06:36:14 am »
You know that just a few hours north of you there is this place called Canada where AAZ's are easily sourced? The parts counter at the Thunder Bay ON dealership is willing to ship to the US, and they have AAZ parts up the wazoo.
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #2May 28, 2011, 12:16:58 pm

mac.man25

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 12:16:58 pm »
Huh.  Good to know about the Thunder Bay dealership.

I had done some searching for complete AAZ engines but I had only come across a couple junkyard engines that were more then I felt I wanted to spend.  Turns out I'm spending more then that putting this engine in, but I get to build this engine the way I want.

The main thing about going to get an engine, is that I have no vehicle to transport it in.  I could ship it, but I thought I could build this motor for $600 total, which would be about the same as shipping one.  But of course, I was wildly wrong in my estimates.

Learning, I does it.
86 BMW 325es.

Reply #3May 30, 2011, 12:12:17 am

mac.man25

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 12:12:17 am »
Got the old N/A IDI out of the truck today, along with the old 4 speed. 

I also got the new block up on an engine stand today.  Tomorrow, I find out if it needs an overbore, so I know what pistons to get.

86 BMW 325es.

S-PAutomotive.com