Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Ignition lock cylinder or ignition switch? (Audi 5000 TD)  (Read 3275 times)

January 25, 2011, 12:49:30 am

colectb

• Junior

Ignition lock cylinder or ignition switch? (Audi 5000 TD)
« on: January 25, 2011, 12:49:30 am »
Hi, I haven't posted on here for awhile as I have been really busy with school. I stayed at a friends house fiday night, and Saturday morning I went out to start my car. Well, after I cycled the glow plugs I tried to start it, but no matter how hard to the right I twisted the key, the start position WOULD NOT engage. I went in to the house defeated, but returned to try again. Well this time, not only did it not go to the start position, it now will not turn to the off position and I can turn the key all the way to the left, pull it out, and the car still stays on the 'ON' position. It now feels really loose to turn as well.

The car is still sitting all the way across town at his house, and I'm thinking about trying to crawl under the car and jump terminals on the starter.

My question is though: Does this sound like the ignition lock cylinder or the ignition switch? And also, I have a very limited supply of tools with me up here (I'm just in Winnipeg for school) so should I even attempt to fix this myself, or should I bring it to a shop?
Also, if there is anyone in my area, let me know!

Thanks much!
-Cole

1986 Porsche 944 NA

1983 Audi 5000 Turbo Diesel

Reply #1January 25, 2011, 01:47:22 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: Ignition lock cylinder or ignition switch? (Audi 5000 TD)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 01:47:22 pm »
break the cylinder out, and stick a screwdriver in the switch. there is a craftsman screwdriver hanging out of the steering column of my audi. been that way since i owned it. it would do basically what yours did, but i never had a key for the car. so i broke it, and drove it 400 miles to home..

(i was kidding about breaking your lock cylinder out BTW)  ;D
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

S-PAutomotive.com